General Does fitting wider tyres imrpove handling?(especially in the wet?)

Currently reading:
General Does fitting wider tyres imrpove handling?(especially in the wet?)

Tspeed94

Hi Guys, just wondering if fitting wider tyres will improve the handling of my car, current tyres are 165/70R14's would fitting 185/70R14's or something improve handling? also what affect will this have on my cars accelleration? Cheers in advance. Tom:)

Really!? i thought with more rubber in contact with the road surface there would be more grip, im currently running Tigar(Front Right) Spider(Front Left) Falken(Rear Right) and Mohawk(Rear Left) i'm aware these a rubbish tyres, and have already had one slight accident aquaplaning into a barrier(only like 10mph though, no damage really) So would it be better to get same size tyresbut a better brand? Bridgestone's or Pirelli's or something?
:)

what you've got to remember that These Big mercs and bmw with super wide tyres can get away with them because the cars are heavy to start with

the Punto is a very light car some 700kg+

And yes in thoery more rubber in contact with the ground = More grip
However!
The More rubber means less pressure on the road as the surface is much larger

think of it in the sense of Drop a Round stone in the water - it sinks because the surface area is much smaller
drop the same weight stone but that is the size a tennis racket in - it floats

heard people with wide skinny walled tyres having accidents because there is little weight on the tyres to make the car grip

If you do mix tyres sizes - make sure as said they stay on the same axle!

Ziggy

Wider tyres wont affect the gears as long as the rolling radius remains the same.

Going from 165 to 185 is unlikely to seriously damage the contact pressure, but the general point is right - an over-tyred car will aquaplane in the wet. If grip is an issue its wise to get a softer tread compound at the expense of a lower mileage.

I would say wider tyres better for wet surface in general. Narrow tyres better for aquaplaning on very wet surface. However wider tyres thread pattern are designed to help aquaplaning as they have wider groves which allow water to drain more effectively especially at high speeds. However narrow tires are definitely better on ice or snow. Also narrow tires are better for top speed and fuel economy.

The HGT petrol & diesel use 185 or 195 tyres and grip ok but they are a lot heavier than the 1.2 models. Being as winter is coming put some decent quality standard size rubber on the 14s. Avoid budget brands they dont grip. Saying that Colway remoulds are used by amateur rally drivers. They are soft so grip well but wear out quick, but they are cheap. Avoid any other remould brands.

Back