Does anyone own a Netbook?

Currently reading:
Does anyone own a Netbook?

isnt a "netbook" just an out of date laptop that they are trying to sell off cheap? :confused:

i'd rather spend £400 on something that will last 3 years instead of spending £250 on something that runs XP and has 1GB of ram. its a false economy. then again if you only want to do basic web browsing then it is fine.

Hardley an out of date laptop, considering they've only just released the linked product. I don't see why it would't last for 3 years with the right maintenance. My pc is nearly 7 years old, just want something more usable. (Thought my Touch Diamond would solve that, but not a big enough screen IMO)

They're like sub 12", lightweight (1kg), Travel laptops. 1gig of ram for a laptop is rather good personally, easily enough to run any programmes I use. Along with the 120gig HD. They only usually give around 8gig (not a typo 8!). Plus my 250gig External HD so it shouldn't get clogged up.

Brother just bought one for his little girl one for surfing the net as she is only 10, he bought her the acer aspire a150. Just finished setting it up, and first impressions are its quite a good, quite funky little machine, a few nit picks, only minor though, screen size bit small fro my liking, and not too fussed on mouse layout, but for general surfing the net it's a great little machine. Small, light and portable. It also has a built in webcam.

Time for it to go away now and be wrapped up all ready for santa :D

(y)

The few I've played with have all seemed pretty solid.

Can't see much point in having the solid state drive over the mechanical drive, the power saving doesn't offset the loss in capacity imho (let alone the price jump!)

Only big issue is that if its the only machine running and you want to run a CD or DVD netbooks dont generally have capacity for that (though i suppose thats besides the point)

Ended up buying: http://www.netbooks.uk.com/product.php/samsung_nc10_-_black

And I can't praise it enough. I aint to bothered about the 160gig HD as I've got my External one. But nice to know I always have the 160 if needed. Its never lagged on me once, even with a number of programmes open. The battery lasts, well forever. The day after I got it I was on the internet playing games and browsing ALL day/night.

As for no CD drive, I thought about this before buying it. But when I thought about the last time I put a CD in my desktop, it had been months, if not well over a year.

"Amazing" - *****

I bought an Acer 110AW, had it for 2 days and took it back to Tesco. Nice little machine, but the 8Gb SSD was very very slow at disk writes, and I didnt like the trackpad.

I was looking at the acer to replace a Dell x200 sub-notebook I bought from ebay a few months back for £62.00. 10" screen, P3-933 and 640mb RAM and that was a lot quicker in general use than the acer netbook and felt more solid too. Granted its a little larger but full size keyboard, decent trackpad and good battery life. So im going to stick with this and my compaq tc-1000 over the current cheap netbooks.

Depending what you are wanting one for might be worth having a look on ebay for slightly older sub-notebooks.

Must admit though, the Dell mini-9 looks rather tempting, with built-in HSDPA/GPRS or whatever it is... a fair bit more than the Acer One rpcei wise.

Dan

I've got an asus eee pc 1000. The flash model. It rocks. It's light, small, 10" display, with the 2gb ram option it flies. The intel Atom 1.6 cpu is surprisingly speedy. I find myself using it more than my macbook.

Back