General doblo windscreen

Currently reading:
General doblo windscreen

Hello guys
Anyone got strong opinions on running with a cracked windscreen this is about 4inches long in the top rh corner, I dont know how or when it happened, presumably triplex saved it from going opaque, is a repair possible?
rgds.
Clive

From what i understand chips can be repaired but cracks can't. Definately an MOT failure point and i doubt the boys in blue would be overly chuffed at a roadside stop and check.

I'd considder getting it replaced as soon as funds allow (n)

He's right. Most chips can be repaired, but not cracks. I had a crack in the bottom left hand corner about five inches long - new windscreen. It grew from a near invisible stone chip. I heard the impact but could not find a thing, until the crack developed! This was my third windscreen in 45000 miles.
The general opinion of the glass fitters seems to be that it's because of the large size of the screen combined with the fact that it is very upright, and so stones make a greater impact than on more raked screens where they might glance off. Still a bloody nuisance though.

If the crack doesn't interfere with your view of the road I'd be inclined to leave it until just before the MOT is due.

Sod's Law could strike if you had a new screen now and then you'd need another screen for the MOT.

If an over zealous plod stops you for a road side check I'd say that the crack had only just appeared and you were intending to get it fixed once you got home. As long as the rest of your vehicle looks and IS safe and legal then I doubt it would be a problem.

I went for nearly 2 years with a cracked screen up to the point my van needed its 1st MOT. In the month prior to the MOT a huge stone was kicked up by a truck going in the opposite direction. It caused another large crack on the opposite side of the screen to the existing crack. I had a new screen fitted a couple of days before the MOT. 100,000 miles later that screen has a few 'war wounds' but nothing to get worried about come MOT time.

Last edited:
Back