General Doblo.......Italian for rugged !!?!

Currently reading:
General Doblo.......Italian for rugged !!?!

Jools

Hello all. I stumbled across this forum tonight, looking for parts for a 2001 cargo.

I'm possibly going to be struck off for this, but I have to say that this is the worst van I have ever driven. I'll give you a brief resume of occurances to date.

I 'inherited' this bucket of bolts from my predecessor @ 30k
It has been "expertly" serviced at FIAT garages all its life.
AT 33k, the master cylinder went south, quite interesting at the time, I was doing 50mph down a hill to a junction. Repairs took 1 week. AT 39k, lhs cv joint locked up, 2 weeks wait for parts. at 45k, gear linkage weld broke, 4weeks wait for parts. 60k, 2 front & 1 rear slave cylinder leaking, 1week wait. It's now on 85k, out of warranty, & some sinister rear tracking fault has occured, resulting in uneven & VERY rapid rear tyre wear (less than 5k).
The indicators don't always self cancel, & are so quiet I don't know when I've left them on. Sometimes the don't even stay on, especially when joining roundabouts.
The rear doors have this frankly quite scary habit of springing open when you encounter a bump in the road.

I could go on, but I think you get the idea, & NO I'm not thrashing the thing, or heavy on brakes etc. I look after my vehicles (my previous job had a morris ital van 20 years old)

Has any one else had such a bad time?

Sorry to debut like this, especially when you others seem so pleased with yours.

I'll get off my soapbox now.

Cheers, Jools

White van man in a Doblo?

Sorry to hear your ownership has been less than great. Fiat dealers can be a little bit crap. As for the faults its certainly not acceptable. We have the td and its had a fault with the drive by wire throtle before where by it did'nt go at all when you put your foot down, there was no response. We've done 40000 miles so far trouble free. Maybe you got a bad one. As for the indicators they are indeed crap!

:)

What the hell was that! common cry of other road users as the doblo over takes up a hill fully laiden at 90

Jools said:
Hello all. I stumbled across this forum tonight, looking for parts for a 2001 cargo.

I'm possibly going to be struck off for this, but I have to say that this is the worst van I have ever driven. I'll give you a brief resume of occurances to date.

I 'inherited' this bucket of bolts from my predecessor @ 30k
It has been "expertly" serviced at FIAT garages all its life.
AT 33k, the master cylinder went south, quite interesting at the time, I was doing 50mph down a hill to a junction. Repairs took 1 week. AT 39k, lhs cv joint locked up, 2 weeks wait for parts. at 45k, gear linkage weld broke, 4weeks wait for parts. 60k, 2 front & 1 rear slave cylinder leaking, 1week wait. It's now on 85k, out of warranty, & some sinister rear tracking fault has occured, resulting in uneven & VERY rapid rear tyre wear (less than 5k).
The indicators don't always self cancel, & are so quiet I don't know when I've left them on. Sometimes the don't even stay on, especially when joining roundabouts.
The rear doors have this frankly quite scary habit of springing open when you encounter a bump in the road.

I could go on, but I think you get the idea, & NO I'm not thrashing the thing, or heavy on brakes etc. I look after my vehicles (my previous job had a morris ital van 20 years old)

Has any one else had such a bad time?

Sorry to debut like this, especially when you others seem so pleased with yours.

I'll get off my soapbox now.

Cheers, Jools

I've had my troubles with my Doblo It's a pity really ,they are nice to drive but when it comes to repares give up for a week.

Further sagas.....

Now on 97500 miles. Clutch worn & replaced, now i can't select 1st or 2nd gears.

Garage recons gearbox is f***ed.

Interesting it was all ok BEFORE they pulled it to bits.

Jools

Steve C said:
Oh dear. You'll not be buying another one then... :(

Probably not....

£505.00 for clutch, the thieving gits now want £700 for a recon, thats RECON box.

Seriously toying with the concept of torching the S*****g thing, & claim off insurance.

Jools.

imola_fowkes said:
only evr had one as a courtesy van once

Be thankful for small mercys!!

This is the best bit. Turns out the box is ok (mate of mine had a look while I moved the gear shift)
Stupid fiat spanner monkeys had trapped the linkage gaiter under the selector mech. We Cut it off, packed it with grease, now all ok.

My boss is furious, to say the least!!

Hmm, I wonder how many people have been stiched up like this??

I'm a white van man in a Doblo JTD SX.
Rugged you bet !! 247,000 mls Original Clutch No problems at all apart from Maf sensor. Still using no oil and pulling like a train. :)

Back