Do you still 'fill her up'?

Currently reading:
Do you still 'fill her up'?

Maximum I've ever put in any car is about £20 worth.

Reasons:

1) If it seems that I have 'alot' of petrol, I can tend to waste by doing unnecessary journeys, same with the average person spending money if they have a large wadge as apposed to £5'er

2) Full Tank = Heavier car, less MPG;)

3) The Fuel light on the GP comes on far far too early methinks.

How much does it cost you over there?

For 95 unleaded petrol its hovering at between AUD1.30 - 1.40/L; add about 10c more for 98. So a full tank would be about AUD55 - 60.

Not sure about diesel.. think its more expensive than petrol :chin:

Somebody syphaned it all, had i only put a half tank in, i would have only lost £20 worth.

Apologies if i made this unclear lol

i was told that they were anti syphan but i bargained for and locking fuel cap on mine. gutted to hear about it mate!

I sometimes fill up and sometimes i just put a 10er in. yesterday i filled up and it cost me £43 paid 1.019 from a shell garage!! runs better on normal shell fuel that tesco normal fuel. now getting 35mpg....

I still fill mine up to the top everytime I fill up. If I still had my Focus it would of been costing me near £60 to fill up now, as opposed to £40 or so for a tank in the GP. I get regular e-mails from one of those companies that tells you the cheapest fuel by me. Last place I filled up was Asda at 109.9. All the other were more some even 112.9 I was also under the impression that modern Diesels were okay now if the fuel run out?? The other thing to consider is that as a car gets older, crappy deposits build up at the bottom of the fuel tank and if the car keeps being driven to the very minimum level, it will put all that crap through the filters blocking them, or putting them into the engine.

I'm in Sydney, and I have run the 1.9 JTD until the fuel light has come on. The most I have filled up is about $50 with $1.49 Diesel.

The last tank got me 1200kms which was all highway driving. This tank is a more normal 800kms.

pips

I still fill mine up to the top everytime I fill up. If I still had my Focus it would of been costing me near £60 to fill up now, as opposed to £40 or so for a tank in the GP. I get regular e-mails from one of those companies that tells you the cheapest fuel by me. Last place I filled up was Asda at 109.9. All the other were more some even 112.9 I was also under the impression that modern Diesels were okay now if the fuel run out?? The other thing to consider is that as a car gets older, crappy deposits build up at the bottom of the fuel tank and if the car keeps being driven to the very minimum level, it will put all that crap through the filters blocking them, or putting them into the engine.

surely all the crap goes to the bottom? and thats where it takes all the fuel from anyway so that makes no difference... am i right?

I'm in Sydney, and I have run the 1.9 JTD until the fuel light has come on. The most I have filled up is about $50 with $1.49 Diesel.

The last tank got me 1200kms which was all highway driving. This tank is a more normal 800kms.

pips

Is that $1.49 per litre. If so, your diesel works out to 68p/litre. Ours is just under double the price :(

my most expensive tank ever last month £48.13 from almost empty.

surely all the crap goes to the bottom? and thats where it takes all the fuel from anyway so that makes no difference... am i right?

You can imagine that the finer particles are shaken up while driving around. When the tank is almost empty, they form a higher proportion in the fuel which is fed to the engine. In the past it was rusty fuel tanks which caused problems but I suspect that many are now plastic! Modern cars have better fuel filters too.

Fuel prices are an absolute joke, but what can we do, we all have to pay it unless you get an electric car. Petrol prices will be going up again in the budget, but don't know when.

WTF - I'm lucky to get 450km a tank (though I rarely see the fuel light).

What's your average L/100km?

My average is on the freeways drops down to about 4.5L/100km. Are you in the diesel 1.9? Mine is.

Is that $1.49 per litre. If so, your diesel works out to 68p/litre. Ours is just under double the price :(

Our cost of living is probably half as high as yours. I remember my pommy mate visiting here and everytime we went somewhere he'd say, "Dun worry mate, I'm on pounds!"

He's migrated here for good now, and regrets the earing vs cost of living.

Fuel prices are an absolute joke, but what can we do, we all have to pay it unless you get an electric car. Petrol prices will be going up again in the budget, but don't know when.

My fear with electric cars is that they'll just jack up the price of electricity. Never mind more blackouts and brownouts.

Some women in the office was telling me over in russia petrol is 18p a litre :| Can only Imagine.

Sounds great! But I can't help but think about what people there earn to be able to just afford it. :(

Cheers
pipsqeek

i dont think its ever a good idea to fill the car up full unless you're going on the motorway for a long time.

remember newton's law? f=ma and a=f/m more m needs more f which needs more fuel for more a!

sorry about the physics!

My average is on the freeways drops down to about 4.5L/100km. Are you in the diesel 1.9? Mine is.

That must be mostly highway driving, right? I'm averaging around 8L/100km and its 100% city driving.

Mine's petrol.

Are you sure about this? Ive got a friend who has just bought a diesel Mk2b Punto and they stupidly let it run dry and its cost them a fortune to get the system back up and running again.

Rich

well i changed the fuel filter myself which means there was a big air gap in the system turned the ignition on a couple of times and have had no problems since

i dont think its ever a good idea to fill the car up full unless you're going on the motorway for a long time.

remember newton's law? f=ma and a=f/m more m needs more f which needs more fuel for more a!

sorry about the physics!

Something isnt quite right there (unless im reading it wrong).

Yes, Force = mass x acceleration (F=ma)

so, if you have more mass you get less acceleration, more fuel doesnt give more acceleration. What i think you mean is with more fuel in the tank, therefore increased mass, you need to increase revs to give the same acceleration (up to a limit). As the revs are increased the fuel consumption also increases.

Does anyone notice much difference in mpg with a full tank and a nearly empty tank, dont think i ever have.

Why would bleeding a diesel injection system cost a fortune? It probably took the mechanic 30 mins tops.

In saying that, they'll probably never run the car down to empty again. :p

Luvduv, yeah, around town I get about 700-800 out of a tank. But on some tanks I've only had 500kms because I've enjoyed bouncing around town and listening to the turbo spool up and down (love that sound). It sounds like the car is sneezing.

Back