Do you have a dashcam in your work vehicle?

Currently reading:
Do you have a dashcam in your work vehicle?

I couldn't see anything there that categorised a dashcam as CCTV. There were no links to any listing that defined such things. Are you making an assumption that a dashcam is CCTV, or have you seen something official about it?
Have you been caught?
Bear in mind, a policeman may not know the correct detail and could also be making an assumption.

I couldn't see anything there that categorised a dashcam as CCTV. There were no links to any listing that defined such things. Are you making an assumption that a dashcam is CCTV, or have you seen something official about it?
Have you been caught?
Bear in mind, a policeman may not know the correct detail and could also be making an assumption.

no i came across it when looking into track and trace data regs that dashcam on business vehicles is in data protection. the link tells you if you have to pay

https://www.trakm8.com/articles/are-your-dash-cams-gdpr-compliant/

https://www.tltsolicitors.com/insights-and-events/insight/dashcams-and-data-protection/

Last edited:
The pdf from the Information Commisioner's Office does not specifically mention dashcams. A search of their website brings up no results. If they classify dashcam footage with CCTV, they've apparently missed this from everything. An interpretation by a dashcam company may not be correct, it needs to be backed up by links to specific legislation, or text on an official website. I haven't seen this yet, and can't be bothered to look further.

I don't have a dashcam in the 'business' car, but if I do fit one sometime, I shall not be worrying about GDPR. There is no specific advice on dashcams from the Driving Instructors Association, and they give clear advice about other data we may store regarding our pupils.

The pdf from the Information Commisioner's Office does not specifically mention dashcams. A search of their website brings up no results. If they classify dashcam footage with CCTV, they've apparently missed this from everything. An interpretation by a dashcam company may not be correct, it needs to be backed up by links to specific legislation, or text on an official website. I haven't seen this yet, and can't be bothered to look further.

I don't have a dashcam in the 'business' car, but if I do fit one sometime, I shall not be worrying about GDPR. There is no specific advice on dashcams from the Driving Instructors Association, and they give clear advice about other data we may store regarding our pupils.

are you not already registered because you have to keep names, addresses licence details of pupils?

i cant find where i originally found the bit about dashcams, i will email them to confirm.

Finally got a reply.

Dear Mr Dave (edit for privacy)

Thank you for your email.

That is correct, If a business (limited or sole trader) is legally responsible for a Dashcam then a registration is required.
Dashcams are classed as a type of CCTV which can potentially capture and record imagines of the general public.
If you wish to discuss your query further or have any other queries you can call our helpline on 0303 123 1113.

Regards
Registration Team
Information Commissioner’s Office, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire SK9 5AF
T. 0303 123 1113 F. 01625 545748 www.ico.org.uk
Please consider the environment before printing this email
For information about what we do with personal data see our privacy notice at www.ico.org.uk/privacy-notice

------------------- Original Message -------------------
Received: Wed Jan 06 2021 17:02:36 GMT+0000 (GMT Standard Time)
To: Information Commissioner's Office
Subject: Dashcams

External: This email originated outside the ICO.

Hi there are various sites on the internet saying if you have a dash cam fitted to a business vehicle you need to register with the ico. can you confirm if this is true of false? as i can not find any info on this on your website.

Regards Dave (edit for privacy)

Back