do they not do rep points anymore

Currently reading:
do they not do rep points anymore

Ben.............................

are people actually abusing the rep system ???

What ??? Members are trying to tarnish each others reputations ???

I've only left rep on two occasions to date, why people feel the need to use it higgledy-piggledy I don't know.

I think he probably means abusing in the way it's not being used as intended. e.g

If someone helps you sort out a tecnical problem..
Rather than
Me posting up something funny about BMW drivers

Although I may be wrong?!

Re: Ben.............................

Abusing as in not using in the correct way - maybe, misusing would have been a better word.

The system is supposed to show how useful a members contributions are, with ideally, if you have a problem, you could look who had the highest rep and ask them. People who voted negative just because they didn't agree with a point of view was wrong, as is people who posted positive as someone had posted a funny photo.

Basically, top of the list should have only been the people who had a made a great (car?) contribution to the forums.... and it wasn't reflected. And when people gave a good rep, then the recipient gave one back to thank them.... well that was just ridiculous...

So its removed... and the forum pages are a few kb smaller because of it :)

EDIT - Ben beat me to it, this was to Jamie

Yep, got it in one!

Plus greater points were given out for members based on their status and length of time on here! I think I could dish out 8 rep points at a time, FixIt could do 10.

Rep was being given out needlessly on LL posts, not on technical and helpful posts; still, fun while it lasted :slayer:

imola_fowkes said:
I Understand It Now Maybe You Should Have Made It A Sticky So People Knew How To Use It
Lol, because people read stickies!! I never even read LL acceptable usage policy until it was pointed out to me :p

Rep points were a sham and were more like popularity contest points than a list of the most helpful members as it was meant to be, and i'm one of the first to hold up my hands and say i used it other than how it was meant to be used, but in my defence it was already a sham by then (although this does not justify me using it in such a way, and i realise that)

(Edit: Didnt make sense first time round so have reworded it all)

Last edited:
Does that mean im the most popular ;)

I think the problem was no one knew how it was meant to be used, when we first got the new forum everyone was giving it for no reason just to see what it was. This never ended and everyone gave people rep for the wrong reasons.

As Stu said... good while it lasted :)

Back