Technical Do I need to lift it?

Currently reading:
Technical Do I need to lift it?

leavemynameoff

Hello, I'm new here!

I have a '92 Panda 4x4 on 145/80r13s.
I took it on some rough logging roads over the weekend and was hitting the sump guard quite a bit so I'm considering a mild lift. I'm planning to get some taller tires since that seems to be the first step to increase cleared, but I'd like the sump guard to have the same clearance as the differential too.
I dug around here for a while but couldn't find any answers on a few specific questions around ground clearance and lifting.

1. What's the stock distance between the sump guard and the ground?
Online spec sheets list it as 180mm. Mine is 130mm so I'm wondering if just replacing the front springs would give me a decent lift. Back is 16cm right now (I know that one can't change without bigger tires).

2. Spacer/strut lift - if the springs are fine, I'm considering just getting some 3cm spacers to make the front even with the back. I'll add spacers in the rear if it feels like it's out of level.
How much lift can you do with spacers or longer struts without doing going through axels fast?
For example, I've read on SF/SG Subaru Foresters you can get away with 4 or 5cm before it becomes a big issue, is there a rule of thumb like that for Pandas?

3. Camber, I've seen eccentric bolts for correcting lift camber, is there another option like longer control arms?

Thanks in advance!
-Danny

This may help as they are in Italy and may give you the advise you need. The link should get to their web site which has much more than extreme lifts, starting at 2cm up.

You mention bigger tyres - careful with that, bigger tyres on standard ride height can ruin the fuel filler neck quite easily on these, a lift will help if you are often hitting the guard. An uprated sump guard (an original with extra plating) can be a good idea. You can get lift kits from Mirko Zenone (you could a couple years ago at least, not sure about now) and Rialzi4x4 in Italy sell a variation of kits also. I have the Rialzi 50mm kit and you need the passenger side driveshaft flange to give you the extra travel as well. It came with front hub carriers and eccentric bolts to correct the camber as it goes positive! I run 145 80 13 winter tyres as daily goers and for off road business I have Malatesta Trac 145 80 13s, I didn't have rub from either of these even before my lift kit

You mention bigger tyres - careful with that, bigger tyres on standard ride height can ruin the fuel filler neck quite easily on these, a lift will help if you are often hitting the guard. An uprated sump guard (an original with extra plating) can be a good idea. You can get lift kits from Mirko Zenone (you could a couple years ago at least, not sure about now) and Rialzi4x4 in Italy sell a variation of kits also. I have the Rialzi 50mm kit and you need the passenger side driveshaft flange to give you the extra travel as well. It came with front hub carriers and eccentric bolts to correct the camber as it goes positive! I run 145 80 13 winter tyres as daily goers and for off road business I have Malatesta Trac 145 80 13s, I didn't have rub from either of these even before my lift kit
Thanks for all the info!
Noted on the larger tires. I wasn't planning to go any larger than what was offered stock. I think they offered something slightly taller at one point, but I always get mixed up reading tire sizing charts.
I'll probably go rialzi4x4 on the lift since I'm already in Italy.
I was wondering if anything had to be done with driveshafts so that's good to know about the flange.
Skid plate on the sump guard sounds like a good addition too.

What's your ground clearance on the sump guard with that 50mm kit installed?

Thanks for all the info!
Noted on the larger tires. I wasn't planning to go any larger than what was offered stock. I think they offered something slightly taller at one point, but I always get mixed up reading tire sizing charts.
I'll probably go rialzi4x4 on the lift since I'm already in Italy.
I was wondering if anything had to be done with driveshafts so that's good to know about the flange.
Skid plate on the sump guard sounds like a good addition too.

What's your ground clearance on the sump guard with that 50mm kit installed?
The original is 145 80 13 as far as I know and you can upgrade to 155 70 13 (possibly with rear 10mm spacers if at standard height but not sure)

If you are in Italy then Rialzi is ideal! You could start supplying us UK lot with Italian Pandas if you're over there ;)

Yes the driveshafts on my 50mm lift are standard, just the passenger side (UK) flange to change, nice and easy as it came with the Rialzi kit!

Admittedly I haven't measured - my sump guard is spaced very slightly downwards as well due to a 1.2 16v engine swap and the guard touched the bottom of the engine, the engine is slightly taller/lower down and my sump guard is thicker as I have a steel plate on the back (welded on) and a large aluminium slider plate bolted onto the lower of it

Back