Do i need a relay?

Currently reading:
Do i need a relay?

I'm guessing these are work lights for the van, for deliveries/collections, etc.

At 48w each, relay necessity will depend on the capacity of the switch(es). Certainly a fat wire will be needed from the battery, and if more than one light per switch, I think a relay will protect the switch. 48w is nearly a headlamp bulb.

I'm guessing these are work lights for the van, for deliveries/collections, etc.

At 48w each, relay necessity will depend on the capacity of the switch(es). Certainly a fat wire will be needed from the battery, and if more than one light per switch, I think a relay will protect the switch. 48w is nearly a headlamp bulb.

Thanks. more for extra reversing light than work light van has bright light inside the doors but only good for when door is open.
I'll get a relay or 2 one for each pair:)

I have these switches.
Untitled2.jpg

The switches may be marked for rating, but a relay will sort it and prevent fires. Although a fire in the right place will help visibility.

As these lights will not be 'E' marked for vehicle external use, take care when using them. If they dazzle, someone might complain.

It is still possible to get proper 'E' marked reversing lights. I used to fit one at the nearside, under the bumper, so never shining at anyone, to light the kerb, for when teaching the left reverse when dark. Feed from the car reverse light to trigger a relay, via a switch, for choice when to use. Later one did get more complicated, as I wired it so that it would only work if the sidelamps were lit, and reverse selected.

Rear fog lights can help when reversing. Hazards tend to distract more than help.

I'd suggest, a relay, how many depends on rating and whether you want choices of how many lights to use at any time, fed via your switches, but also connected to the van reverse circuit, so they can only be used when reverse gear is selected. Prevents leaving them on.

Good luck with them, its cold outside working on vehicles.

If you are switching with the car's reverse light switch you absolutely need a relay as it may otherwise confuse the car's body electronics.

48 watts is only 4 amps, but I would fit a relay as a matter of course. They are not costly and dont add much extra work. You can even get pre-wired connector blocks that you splice into your new wiring system.

Here's one with a fused switched circuit
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1313&_nkw=112432172406&_sacat=0

Here's a connector
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-Pin-Re...981821&hash=item28736995b7:g:GTIAAOSw~wVcOKS~

You can even get fully wired looms with switch and relay.

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Back