General DIY oil change voids warranty?

Currently reading:
General DIY oil change voids warranty?

Does "Do It Yourself" oil changes voids Canadian warranty on our new Fiat 500? :confused:

I can understand that you could get 'caught out' on doing your own oil changes by the dealer if you were to change your engine oil for the first time before the dealer does and thus voiding your warranty.

I say this, because as jrkitching posted in another thread and which I subsequently noticed prior to my own car going in for a first service only two weeks, the oil filter fitted to a new car, is a factory fitted filter, with a different part number unavailable I understand from the dealer.

My own European 500 now has a Fiat original spec oil filter available from all Fiat dealers, not the factory spec fitted one. Therefore, I could hazard a guess that I could now, should I wish to do so, safely carry out all my own oil/filter changes using Fiat oil and filters without the dealer network suspecting a thing. As things stand, whilst my vehicle is under warranty, Fiat will be servicing it anyway, but once the three years are up, I'll start doing the services myself.

Does "Do It Yourself" oil changes voids Canadian warranty on our new Fiat 500? :confused:

If you can get a mechanic you know and trust to do it, that would be the way to go.

My dealer just called me the other day for a scheduled maintenance for the 6 month period, and it's just an oil change.. I told them I had it done already by a mechanic, saved the receipts as well. They had no issue with it. Also, I did get a factory OEM mopar Fiat 500 US model Oil Filter.

I can understand that you could get 'caught out' on doing your own oil changes by the dealer if you were to change your engine oil for the first time before the dealer does and thus voiding your warranty.

I say this, because as jrkitching posted in another thread and which I subsequently noticed prior to my own car going in for a first service only two weeks, the oil filter fitted to a new car, is a factory fitted filter, with a different part number unavailable I understand from the dealer.

My own European 500 now has a Fiat original spec oil filter available from all Fiat dealers, not the factory spec fitted one. Therefore, I could hazard a guess that I could now, should I wish to do so, safely carry out all my own oil/filter changes using Fiat oil and filters without the dealer network suspecting a thing. As things stand, whilst my vehicle is under warranty, Fiat will be servicing it anyway, but once the three years are up, I'll start doing the services myself.

The Twin Air engine uses a canister type oil filter with an element inside, and the actual filter I bought from shop4parts was completely and utterly identical to the one I took out from the car - the part number, identifying marks and look of it.

So worth bearing in mind.

Back