Technical FIAT 500 burning rubber smell, and oil leak

Currently reading:
Technical FIAT 500 burning rubber smell, and oil leak

Engine oil. 5w-30 different brand though.

Unless they recommend something different in the USA it's the wrong oil

European specs are for 5w40 c2
Or 0w30 c2 for the later engine's Which I don't think yours is?

The c2 is as important as the weight

Also while they have a throttle body it's permently open when the engine is running do doesn't create any vaccum

Unless they recommend something different in the USA it's the wrong oil

European specs are for 5w40 c2

Or 0w30 c2 for the later engine's Which I don't think yours is?

The c2 is as important as the weight

Also while they have a throttle body it's permently open when the engine is running do doesn't create any vaccum

The NA cars have the 1.4 16v 100HP MULTIAIR engine, which recommends 5W-30 and 0W-40 for colder climates. I don’t recall seeing C2 anywhere. I don’t even know what that is it’s on none of our oils in the United States what I do know is that these cars require full synthetic or else you’ll quickly kill the Multiair actuator which is $1700... per cylinder.

Last edited:
Because 0W 40 has a thicker viscosity which is apparently supposed to aid in colder climates supposedly for easy starting or something, which is what the engine block heater is for but whatever.

Theres countries in Europe as hot or as cost at most of the USA but as far as I'm aware there no need to change the oil specs
Could be wrong however?
If that what your USA car manual says to use beat to stick with that

Last edited:
Next time you need parts try rockauto they are in USA.[/

The reason why we didn’t do that was because we didn’t know it was going to be the vacuum pump until our mechanic told us we could’ve ordered the part and came home and have done the repair ourselves because we already disassembled the car and taking off the pump would be so easy at the convenience of getting our car back in one day it’s pretty nice as opposed to waiting about a week for the part.

Because 0W 40 has a thicker viscosity which is apparently supposed to aid in colder climates supposedly for easy starting or something, which is what the engine block heater is for but whatever.

The first number is a guide to viscosity cold.

The second number is a guide to viscosity and engine running temperature.

Don't over think it just use the correct oil for your car preferably a brand and spec recommended by fiat USA.

By the way automatic transmission fluid is very often red. But not always

Next time you need parts try rockauto they are in USA.[/

The reason why we didn’t do that was because we didn’t know it was going to be the vacuum pump until our mechanic told us we could’ve ordered the part and came home and have done the repair ourselves because we already disassembled the car and taking off the pump would be so easy at the convenience of getting our car back in one day it’s pretty nice as opposed to waiting about a week for the part.

I understand that, well done.

I meant the next time you need parts try rockauto, it may save you $$$$

Engine oil. 5w-30 different brand though.

It does say 5w 30 in tje manual for NA fiat 500... I'm very curious though if this is the best oil... i can see the engine being mated to a different trans but the engine itself should be similar if not the same as the Europe cars... i will need to do some research on the different engine codes and what they have in common or not. I also have a vacume pump oul leak...

Our US cars have the MultiAir system, the same system in the TwinAir. I know the MultiAir system needs synthetic oil, 5W30 to run properly, don't ask why, that's just how it is. It runs way worse on conventional. And on a blend of synthetic and conventional, it's still not happy. That, I know myself. We once got a blend, and it was not having it. Running rough here and there, almost like if we put in regular unleaded petrol in it. It would run a but rough.

Hi guys,

I just want to pop in and clarify the oil recommended for the NAFTA Fiat 500.

The US cars use MultiAir, and the specified oil weight is 5W30. And unlike European cars, synthetic oil is not required on North American Fiat 500s. That information was told to me directly by the head engineer responsible for adapting the MultiAir engine into the North American Fiat 500. It is also in the owners manual:

Engine Oil –1.4L Engine
We recommend you use API Certified SAE 5W-30 Engine Oil, meeting the requirements of FCA Material Standard MS-6395. Refer to your engine oil filler cap for correct SAE grade.

Synthetic Engine Oils
You may use synthetic engine oils provided the recommended oil quality requirements are met, and the recommended maintenance intervals for oil and filter changes are followed. 7 Synthetic engine oils which do not have both the engine oil certification mark and the correct SAE viscosity grade number should not be used.

You do not have to change the oil weight due to the weather:

Engine Oil Viscosity (SAE Grade) — 1.4L Engine
SAE 5W-30 engine oil approved to FCA Material Standard MS-6395 such as Pennzoil, Shell Helix or equivalent is recommended for all operating temperatures. This engine oil improves low temperature starting and vehicle fuel economy.

--------------------------------

The North American Fiat 500 Abarth is equipped with the MultiAir Turbo, similar to the Alfa MiTo and Abarth Punto EVO. That engine was adapted for use in North America and the oil requirements are 5W40 SYNTHETIC.

An interesting note is there were changes made in North American engines to use these oils. In particular, changes to the piston rings, piston crown, and some of the bearings.

Best regards,
Chris

Back