Technical disassembling uno turbo rear calipers

Currently reading:
Technical disassembling uno turbo rear calipers

bozothenutter

Hi, I normally hang around on the Cinq forum, but thought my question would be more appropriate here...so here goes!

I have bought a couple of Uno turbo rear calipers, they seem in good nick, but they have been painted this horrible translucent red (think it was supposed to be dayglow red...).
Anyway, I have found somewhere that can sandblast and powdercoat them, but to do the job right i would like to dissasemble them. However, I have been advised not to because reassembling calipers with integrated handbrake is supposed to ba a pain in the @#%^$#!

Anybody on here know how and what hurdles i will have to take in doing this?
anybody have instructions?

Can you not tape up the parts you don't want blasted with ducktape, that should prevent damage if the person doing the blasting is careful. Alternatively use a bit of paint stripper and do it yourself.

I go along with the advice not to disassemble. I believe there are strong springs inside (might be conical washers) which are not easy to refit.

Just use paint stripper or wire-wheel on bench grinder, drill-mounted wire brush, etc. to remove paint, clean with brake cleaner, then brush paint or spray with high-temp black or silver paint.

-Alex

Thanks for the info, I decided to just remove the piston, that was relatively easy...thoug I did tear one of the rubbers, and now they tell me no new rubber kits are available!

anybody here know of a source?

Who was it that told you? Have you tried fiat seeing as they may have used the same calipers on different models so may still stock them. You can try euro car parts, ebay, any general motor stores and you could also try ringing a brake reconditioning firm and asking where they get their seals for that caliper from or even if they could sell you one.

Dan

Back