Technical Disassemble Lock In-Situ - Help!

Currently reading:
Technical Disassemble Lock In-Situ - Help!

Pip pip

Hi everyone

I added a question to an older thread (title below), but think it might not have been seen by many:

back-door-wont-open-any-ideas-new-post - can't link it unfortunately

To summarise my issue - my driver's side rear door will not open from the outside or inside (the child lock is on :bang:).

I've managed to remove the door card, even though the door cannot be opened at all. After trying various troubleshooting from the thread above, I believe that the lock has seized.

I now need to remove the lock in-situ, but I'm having trouble figuring out how to do so.
I've managed to located and remove one small screw, but not sure if there are any others or how the lock needs to be removed.

My MOT is due later this month, so I really need to get this door sorted.
If anyone who has managed to disassemble the lock in-situ has any advice or pointers, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Hi everyone

I added a question to an older thread (title below), but think it might not have been seen by many:

back-door-wont-open-any-ideas-new-post - can't link it unfortunately

To summarise my issue - my driver's side rear door will not open from the outside or inside (the child lock is on :bang:).

I've managed to remove the door card, even though the door cannot be opened at all. After trying various troubleshooting from the thread above, I believe that the lock has seized.

I now need to remove the lock in-situ, but I'm having trouble figuring out how to do so.
I've managed to located and remove one small screw, but not sure if there are any others or how the lock needs to be removed.

My MOT is due later this month, so I really need to get this door sorted.
If anyone who has managed to disassemble the lock in-situ has any advice or pointers, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Hi There, I can't help specifically re the Panda rear door lock as mine currently still work ok. However; stay with me!

I had to do a similar job on a Golf 4 (it seems VW door lock mechs are as bad if not worse that FIAT it seems) and what I found really useful was to first buy the replacement part on the basis that the original was "dead" and you would be doing this anyway?

Having a fully functional part available on the bench in front of you gives the opportunity to discover what does what and the logic sequence used by the mechanism. For the Golf this gave me the chance to minimise the damage and I managed to spring the lock by manipulating the mechanism levers with a screwdriver through the interior of the door.

So no direct Panda experience but knowing how it works helped a great deal for me. By the way for the VW issue it seems there is a problem with soldered joints across those models and dismantling and resoldering can work, but there are a myriad of things that can also be wrong...

Good luck

Hi There, I can't help specifically re the Panda rear door lock as mine currently still work ok. However; stay with me!

I had to do a similar job on a Golf 4 (it seems VW door lock mechs are as bad if not worse that FIAT it seems) and what I found really useful was to first buy the replacement part on the basis that the original was "dead" and you would be doing this anyway?

Having a fully functional part available on the bench in front of you gives the opportunity to discover what does what and the logic sequence used by the mechanism. For the Golf this gave me the chance to minimise the damage and I managed to spring the lock by manipulating the mechanism levers with a screwdriver through the interior of the door.

So no direct Panda experience but knowing how it works helped a great deal for me. By the way for the VW issue it seems there is a problem with soldered joints across those models and dismantling and resoldering can work, but there are a myriad of things that can also be wrong...

Good luck

Thank you foe taking the time to reply. I had been looking at pictures of the replacement part online to get a better idea of how it worked, but agree with you that having it in front me would definitely be more helpful!

Hi :)

that thread is here:

Im sure there have been a few success stories on here..

Im wondering what ACTUALLY fails..

But the BIG lesson is NO CHILD LOCK..!!

Thank you for linking to the original thread :)

You're so right about the child locks! The worst part is: I accidentally turned it on thinking I was disengaging it. It made my problem so much more complicated and difficult to sort!

Back