Technical Dipstick Question

Currently reading:
Technical Dipstick Question

Michaelsfiat

I been changing the oil/oil filter of my Fiat 500 for years now
But it just occured to me
(with photo enclosed) is the oil filled to the maximum when the dipstick shows what it shows in photo
For some reason I am questioning myself in my old age?
Strange but true!

Attachments

• 9500B2EB-C292-4FDC-B53F-C7D3808B39B2.jpeg
    9500B2EB-C292-4FDC-B53F-C7D3808B39B2.jpeg
    590.9 KB · Views: 61
I been changing the oil/oil filter of my Fiat 500 for years now
But it just occured to me
(with photo enclosed) is the oil filled to the maximum when the dipstick shows what it shows in photo
For some reason I am questioning myself in my old age?
Strange but true!
Yes, it's full, about 2.7 litres when the flat area is showing oil....best way I could say that.....
A check at least monthly is a good idea, let it settle after a drive for accurate result.

So about 3 qts to be more precise 2.85 qts
After the fact for years I been changing the oil in my 2013 Fiat 500 and been using Mobil Synthetic and a K & N filter
And I always add 4 qts ((3.78) of oil…I guess the extra oil fills up the cartridge filter
I always use an 12v fluid transfer pump so I don’t mess with the drain plug and go underneath the car
Do everything from the top!

I think mine is Mexico made
Does anyone use a oil extraction motor to suck the oil out?
I am curious…

I think mine is Mexico made
Does anyone use a oil extraction motor to suck the oil out?
I am curious…

I believe all the North American 500s were.. And 1.4 litre motors 🤔

I don't use a fluid pump, but lots of people on here do

There Is always a concern you are not getting to the junk at the bottom of the oil pan : sump

BUT.. You don't have concerns over poor threads on the drain bolt / plug

I bought a pump but it was a dud so I have never used it. I would use the sump plug sometimes to ensure any debris / sluge gets removed fully. Im not convinced the pump would get the last of the oil out. The Panda at least has an accessible sump plug and good drainiage from it. I would imagine the pump. I have however never seen debris or sludge in any of my cars when changing the oil.

With 12 volt extraction pump it has to be in right position to get it to work once its there it pulls the oil out
I always wondered if it was getting all the sludge out
If worse comes to worse I can always pull the drain plug!

Yes it is 4 QT's with filter. Unsure if OP has the MultiAir or the MultiAir Turbo but both have the same oil capacity. I've read elsewhere that the extraction pumps leave about a quarter of a quart of the old oil behind, not terrible considering the alternative is draining the oil from the underside which is annoying with that splash shield that you have to remove and the oil that splashes against the front cross member as it drains out. MultiAir engines though are picky about clean oil and I'm meticulous with my cars so I've never used a pump and have just dealt with the mess and annoyances that come draining the oil.

Also, if you have the regular MultiAir, I would put 0W-40 in it. Fiat recommends it for colder temperatures but it works great in any temperature. With 5W-30 in my car, it sounded like it had little rocks in the engine, and 0W-40 cleared that right up. Many people have reported the same.

Maybe next time I’ll get under car and pull the drain plug
But I never know where to put jack and jack stands
I have 2013 Fiat 500 Sport and in a rush I jacked it with a floor jack to put on a spare and forgot the piece of wood that I use with floor jack and I jacked it up at the pinch weld and part of jack pushed against the side shirt and broke it loose
I had to mess with it using double sided tape to put the side shirt back in place
I wasn’t thinking…
With an oil change I could use my car ramps thats how used to do it but I got tired of driving on to the ramps by myself
I always worry that I will go past the stops then I have another mess to deal with lol!
By the way I always use 0W-40 Mobil 1 Synthetic
Maybe I just getting old to work on cars!!

Last edited:
Maybe next time I’ll get under car and pull the drain plug
But I never know where to put jack and jack stands

Maybe I just getting old to work on cars!!
In my 25+ years of working on FIAT cars.. Corrosion was a big thing in the 80's cars I started on.. 😕

So I used the actual suspension mount points, as they were not as compromised as sills and other sheet metal 🤔

Here is an image

The triangle of 3 Bolt Heads is where the front subframe bolts to the car shell

I always lift and support there, well away from plastic trim 🙂

Thanks
I believe there is you tube video thats shows and explains jacking points on a Fiat 500 Sport

Back