Technical Diesel engine oil?

Currently reading:
Technical Diesel engine oil?

dac69er

Established member
I have been given 20l of brand new valvoline fully synthetic diesel engine oil.

It's 10w-40 viscosity, but my concern is that it only has diesel engine API specs shown as that is what it is designed for.

There isn't much on the internet to say you can or can't, what are peoples opinions on here about using it in a petrol engine?

This page would be useful for you. I have used diesel oil in the past and had no issues whatsoever. Just ensure its the correct viscosity.

without doing brush up reading i would think modern derv oil will be low SAPS for the DPF, which isnt a bad thing but you might consider changing the oil at a shorter interval because of this.

But just have a search for the API rating, or ACEA rating and see what it says about whichever you have - its 99.9% gonna be totally fine though.

This page would be useful for you. I have used diesel oil in the past and had no issues whatsoever. Just ensure its the correct viscosity.

That's what I read and it was a bit non committal. It did say at the end if it doesn't have a petrol engine spec on it, then they recommend not to use it.

I just wanted some other opinions as info seems thin on the ground......

What specs does the oil have?

Unusual for oils not to have both Petrol and Diesel ratings these days.

Unless it is a heavy plant/truck oil.

What specs does the oil have?

Unusual for oils not to have both Petrol and Diesel ratings these days.

Unless it is a heavy plant/truck oil.
That's pretty much what it is.
It only has API CF and ACEA E4,E7
Its in a big 20l container, obviously for larger vehicles that use more oil

ACEA ratings starting with E are indeed heavy duty diesel oils... so its probably ok from a lubrication standpoint - my worry would be that heavy duty oils are designed for engines that don't spin very fast.. Clearly I'm not an oil expert lol, for the cost of oil though i'd probably just use correct stuff myself even though i think it would be okay for a car thats not driven hard on the regular

Some modern engines are very fussy about the oil, I dont it'll much of an issue for an older fiat engine. VAG and ford supposedily fail with the wrong oil.

The worry would be the heavy detergent package needed for a heavy plant/truck engine with looooong drain intervals.

I did see a few mentions of potential plug fouling.

Back