Technical Desperate for help Fiat Ducato 2013 multijet electrical issues

Currently reading:
Technical Desperate for help Fiat Ducato 2013 multijet electrical issues

bellyh

Hey guys! First time posting but have been a reader for a while.

Really would like some advice on my fiat ducato flatbed/tipper

Today I experienced some crazy behaviour relating to electrics

*Wiper fluid started spraying out on its own accord nothing would stop the pump running other then removing grey plug located by the diag plug in

*fuel gauge isn't working
*windows are not going up or down
Wipers arnt working as they should
Nor are indicators or lights

*Multiple lights on dash
1.airbag failure
2.flahing orange circle light by fuel gauge
3.saying change oil
Previously to this happening
ESP and Hill holder flashing up

Key turns gets the van trying to start but assume the electrical issues won't allow it to turn over

Was driving it at time it stared to have issues pulled over turned off engire and wouldnt start had to be recovered

Can anyone point me in the direction of what could be a possible casue for this as everything has been working fine up till now

Any help would be appreciated

Harry
A very sad tradesman without a van to trade with :(

For a start, have you tried replacing the engine block earthing strap. Hidden corrosion in the crimped ends of this strap is a known issue with x250 models. I believe that the later x290 models use an identical part.

For a quick check connect a jump lead between say an engine lifting lug, and a clean chassis earth point.

Also inspect the battery negative connection under the LH cab floor.

@bellyh

Hi Harry,
I didnt see you at Rowstock today did I..??

This was a GUIDE I linked to earlier today

Shows the basics of the not uncommon Battery to chassis and Engine : Gearbox cable failure.

Have you had any work done lately.. ??

Something worked loose..?

For a start, have you tried replacing the engine block earthing strap. Hidden corrosion in the crimped ends of this strap is a known issue with x250 models. I believe that the later x290 models use an identical part.

For a quick check connect a jump lead between say an engine lifting lug, and a clean chassis earth point.

Also inspect the battery negative connection under the LH cab floor.
Firstly thank you so much for responding to my thread

As of yet I haven't tried any repare only inspected various places

I will try this suggestion tomorrow morning and leave an update as to the result

I have a auto electrician due to come out to me this coming Tuesday to try and diagnose
@bellyh

Hi Harry,
I didnt see you at Rowstock today did I..??

This was a GUIDE I linked to earlier today

Shows the basics of the not uncommon Battery to chassis and Engine : Gearbox cable failure.

Have you had any work done lately.. ??

Something worked loose..?
Wow what a small world !

Yes that was me broken down just passed the Nissan garage !

Interesting you mention as I had just picked it up the day before from the mechanic I use and he had been working around steering rack as I have a leak on the power steering

I will try this tomorrow morning to see if it fixes my issue

Thanks so.much for the advice

Where is it now..??

I can potentially give you a hand if its around Abingdon - Didcot
I'm actually based in Cholsey Village (Wallingford)

I would be over the moon if you could but I couldn't allow this without paying you for your time

Unfortunately ive not much experience with mechanics but do take my hands to most things

You sir really are a Hero ! Even just the advice is a fantastic help

I'm actually based in Cholsey Village (Wallingford)

I would be over the moon if you could but I couldn't allow this without paying you for your time

Unfortunately ive not much experience with mechanics but do take my hands to most things

You sir really are a Hero ! Even just the advice is a fantastic help

Do you have access to 'jumpleads..booster cables'

You can do the basics with them :)

Unfortunately this hasn't helped

I am being led to belive that the ecu or fuse box located under the bonnet could possibly be causing these issues

Can anyone second this as a possible cause

TiA
Harry

Unfortunately this hasn't helped

I am being led to belive that the ecu or fuse box located under the bonnet could possibly be causing these issues

Can anyone second this as a possible cause

TiA
Harry
Harry,

What has not helped? Please inform the forum as to what has been tried.

When you turn the key, does the starter motor attampt to turn, or do you just hear a click from the solenoid? In the latter case it could be due to a faulty engine earth strap, but difficult to relate this to lights failing. Does "lights " in your initial post relate to either main or dipped beams, or all lights.?

You ask about the possibility of the engine bay fusebox/distribution unit causing your problems. Yes it can cause problems if it has got wet and perhaps corroded internally. See link provided by @varesecrazy in post #3. However other items can cause similar problems, and be much less expensive to replace.

I could link to a post by a Ducato hire fleet operator, recommending that the engine earth strap is replaced every 4 years, as yours is nearly? 10 years old, your money would not be wasted. Poor connections at the battery positive area, and a loose supply cable to the engine bay fusebox (M6) stud, could also cause similar symptoms. If using a spanner (10mm) here make certain that it cannot short to any metal object. A simple precaution would be to wrap and secure a plastic bag (several layers) round the other end of the spanner.

Probably the best item to investigate is the starter motor, which draws a high current. If you find and fix why the starter is not working, then it is highly likely that other symptoms will disappear.

To help others please report on what you find.

Last edited:
Okay my apologies

I have tried to bridge the earth strap by using a jump lead between engine lifting lug and chassis that didn't change anything

Starting it allows the starter motor to sound as normal not just a solenoid clicking.

How do I go.about checking the m6 fuse connection ?

Loads.of random things happening wiper fluid pump running permanently Wipers not working properly speed setting not working

Air bag failure on dash
Also when the green flag came out they couldn't read any fault codes coming up with the diagnostic machine no at all ?

Okay my apologies

I have tried to bridge the earth strap by using a jump lead between engine lifting lug and chassis that didn't change anything

Starting it allows the starter motor to sound as normal not just a solenoid clicking.
If starter motor turns engine as normal, then main earth connections may be OK, but I have read report of x244 engine being started OK and then failing. This was traced to bad connection at battery negative which is under bonnet on that model.

As engine is cranked without firing some possible causes could be the glowplugs not being energised, (Is ther any smell of unburnt fuel) if not it could be ECU being starved of power, and not controlling the injectors.
How do I go.about checking the m6 fuse connection ?
Remove the two M5 (8mm spanner size) nuts, taking care not to drop them. Carefully lift off fusebox cover. Check if thick red cable can be moved with finger pressure. If loose please take note of my previous remarks when tightening. Alternatively disconnect battery negative before working. See "Guides" section for correct disconnection procedure.

While you have the cover off, look for any obviuos signs of corrosion, or overheating.
Loads.of random things happening wiper fluid pump running permanently Wipers not working properly speed setting not working

Air bag failure on dash
Also when the green flag came out they couldn't read any fault codes coming up with the diagnostic machine no at all ?

Back