Off Topic Decided to keep my Stilo

Currently reading:
Off Topic Decided to keep my Stilo

Hi,

Just wanted to share my thoughts on the overall Stilo experience.

During the 6 years of ownership (4 years for mine), of 2 really nice 1.8's, I have not experienced any problems with neither whatsoever. However, you know, there's a time when you kind of need to move forward, as you realize the car is old and not worth much anyway, and there's some servicing required to make it in the best shape possible.

I gave it a thought, and decided to invest to keep.

I've spent close to 2000£ on brand new parts for a top quality service. These include:

1. new wishbones - left and right
2. new trackrods
3. new drop links
4. new suspension bushes
5. new timing belt (contitech) with new pulleys and variator (250£) + water pump
6. new brake disks and pads (TRW)
7. new rear wheel bearing - driven with it for 15000 miles and thought it was tire noise. :rolleyes:
8. new spark plugs
9 Oil, 5w40 Castrol Magnatec, + filter, air filter and polen filter (AC filter). Used to have 10w40 Selenia but the engine kept eating it after 5000 miles.

The investment is quite big, considering the car is only worth about 3000E in Romania, but overall, she drives like a dream and has never ever let me down. All parts used were FIAT or top quality OEM.

I plan on keeping it for a minimum of 1 year, after which I will hand it over to my dad. The only reason I will stop driving it is fully comp. not being available as the car is getting too old. Driving in Bucharest without that is madness.

To make matters interesting, I just received an engine fault warning yesterday, turns out some lambda sensors were acting up. Have reset the fault, did about 800 miles in the car, hasn't appeared since. The mechanic said it could be anything from bad fuel, bad quality air, etc.

So yes, I am a very very happy Stilo owner, just can't give her anyway. :yum:

Vlad.

Last edited:
Good call Vlad (y)

I plan on keeping mine for as long as possible. During the 6 years I've had it, it's only ever let me down once. That was when I went down a deep pot hole obscured by a flood in Brașov.

good call vlad! you wanna see the shopping list on mine! then you'd wanna scrap it! i'm determined to get it sorted though!

just out of interest what wishbones did you go for?

Vlad are we mad? i have decided to spend on mine instead of binning i have 2 lists urgent and really urgent,maybe we should compare list's?

Back