Dealer Stickers

Currently reading:
Dealer Stickers

Do you leave the Dealer Stickers on the back window after buying your car?

• Yes

Votes: 47 12.1%
  • No

Votes: 340 87.9%

• Total voters
I left mine on my punto because it had hearts on it :)

My 500 just has a sticker saying 'car of the year'.

I want new numberplates though because it says the name of the garage on them.

xxxx
xxx
xx
x

We always remove the stickers.

When we ordered mum's Yaris, the company (Pinewood Toyota) would put a tatoo on the boot saying Pinewood. Dad's asked the sale rep to not have one or any advertising stickers put on the car, when the rep said he couldn't garentee it, dad refused to order the car. Needless to say, it was garenteed:devil:

Dad was still wound up when it had a Toyota sticker in the rear window which was promptly removed by the sales rep when he turned up to collect it and almost refused the car:p

i know the thread is going along the car route but i thought i would add this on as it pi**ed me off no end ,

so the storie starts some years ago some kind magistraights removed my licence from me so needed alternative travel arrangements thus came the bike a raleigh max cromo 2 the delux of the max range was all well and good i even signed up too do the london too brighton on it ( for the bhf )
any ways 10 mins out of london decided when i get home i shall build myself a new far lighter bike

and so it begun i had built myself a £2000 claude butler and too look after it i took it too the local franchise too fully service it £250 later i took it home too discover a sticker from humberston claude butler so i phoned and asked for a refund due too the illegal advertising they had placed on my bike needless to say i got phobbed off some excuse was stated and i said well you lost a customer
what anoyed me more was i had hand built this bike not bought it from a shop things took a turn for the worse upon removal of the said sticker it had dammaged the paint ( my mums partner is a high flying solicitor ) after months of tooing and frooing we came to a solution i pay £250 and i get a frame of my choice in roll's a £1000 claude butler olympus pro light gauge aluminium hybrid frame

so here i have a super looking bike then its done its first 500 miles its service time took it too a local shop and he did a full service £90 he even serviced the hydrolic braking system but low and behold theres a dam sticker stuck too it i even asked not too have one placed on the bike he then refunded half the service bill i been back tooo him every 500 miles been brilliant

it IS!

it must state the name of the place the plate was made and their postcode!

depends where and why it is made. you can still buy online with no manufacturer marks and it is perfectly legal, but they must be made outside england or sold as "show plates". they are still legal to use on a car, and legal to sell.

Last edited:
I put my car into 'pentagon window tinting' and they took the STUPID looking arnold clark sticker off, but put there own branding sticker on it, but at least it is alotlot smaller than the daft yellow one ac use.. and it looks better :):slayer:

it IS!

it must state the name of the place the plate was made and their postcode!

Thats Bull, who told you that?
The only legal requirements are in regard to the letters (must be a certain shape and size) the badge you can have on them (Scottish, English, Euro Flag etc). Car makers etc are a no-no and I believe the background of the plate should be plain.

depends where and why it is made. you can still buy online with no manufacturer marks and it is perfectly legal, but they must be made outside england or sold as "show plates". they are still legal to use on a car, and legal to sell.

Correct.
I have had a few made up by Demonplates.com and they are excellent although the 3D carbon domed I had made weren't the cheapest.

I always ask that the dealer does not plaster my car with stickers but if they do, I take them off in front of them and ask them to dispose of the junk.

Last edited:

What your saying is sort of right but the the bit about why is it made :confused: its made cos you need a number plate, you dont have buy them outside of the U.K. all they make you do in the place thats making them for you is sighn a declaration saying these are show plates and not to be use on the street hence the term show plates thats cover the shop on legal terms cos they will say told you so, basicly it is up to the person if they fit them or not but if you get a stroppy copper he can make you take them off or issue a fine if he is a right tos**er, its happend twice with a relative of mine once cos he had something different on the plate other than a GB flag and one when they siad his pesonal plate lettering was to close together.
really the coppers should have better things to do than to hassle people with funny number plates . one other thing when you go and get plates made up in a shop show plates or not you have to take ID: with you and the log book of the car the plate is going on because I tried to get some plates made up for my Cinq before I picked it up from the guy I brought from and every shop siad the same thing ID: & log book so the one you buy on line cant be 100% leagal as sutch.

Last edited:
Show plates are illegal to use on car's even if they do have the standard font, I don't know why, but it was on a police programme the other night.

By law shops that make plates have to put their Postcode on it, and keep details of the proof you gave them for atleast 3 years;)

Whether they do or not is another thing though.

Jon.

Show plates are illegal to use on car's even if they do have the standard font, I don't know why, but it was on a police programme the other night.

By law shops that make plates have to put their Postcode on it, and keep details of the proof you gave them for atleast 3 years;)

Whether they do or not is another thing though.

Jon.

I siad the same earlier in this thread but some thought I was talking bo**ox glad someone else agrees :slayer:

I had an Arnold Clarke one on mine but as they are so c*** I removed it straight away and the buggers had the cheek to mention why I didn't have it on there when I took it back in for a service 3 months later!!!

I had an Arnold Clarke one on mine but as they are so c*** I removed it straight away and the buggers had the cheek to mention why I didn't have it on there when I took it back in for a service 3 months later!!!
Should of ask them for your comission for advertising for them for three months, :D

if you get a stroppy copper he can make you take them off or issue a fine if he is a right tos**er, its happend twice with a relative of mine once cos he had something different on the plate other than a GB flag and one when they siad his pesonal plate lettering was to close together.
in the case of the manufactuer's name and psotcode the cops cant do anything, it is only illegal to make the plates without it, not use the plates without it. it is designed to stop cloning. if you get show plates made that are exactly the same as normal plates but without the name and postcode of the person making the plates then they are perfectly legal for road use, but they are made illegally unless they are sold as show plates. a totally pointless law that is so easy to avoid they might as well scrap it.

they are not illegal simply because they are show plates, they are only illegal if they break the rules. plenty of show plates can be perfectly legal for road use, mine always are, i simply get normal legal plates made but without the maker's details on them. it is only illegal to make them like that for road use, but using them on the road is perfectly legal. if it wasnt then many people who had a plate made before the law came into effect would have been using illegal plates, even the original plates were often blank before the law and they arent suddenly illegal to use on the road.

only for road plates, that is why plates without the postcode are sold as show plates, and are perfectly legal. the law only applies to making plates for road use, not using them on the road. its a well known and well abused loophole.

Last edited:
Back