Technical Dead OBD2 Port

Currently reading:
Technical Dead OBD2 Port

auzo1968

Hi I am having an issue with my Panda's OBD2 Port, it seems to be totally dead. Is there a fuse that it uses? I have an yellow triangle with exclamation mark illuminated on dash and stop start is nor working, but driving fine otherwise, but I have been unable to diagnose as the port is dead. Any help will be very gratefully received.

Hi I am having an issue with my Panda's OBD2 Port, it seems to be totally dead. Is there a fuse that it uses? I have an yellow triangle with exclamation mark illuminated on dash and stop start is nor working, but driving fine otherwise, but I have been unable to diagnose as the port is dead. Any help will be very gratefully received.
Don't know if this will help you, but if you have multimeter and are careful, it should tell you if you are getting power and earth in correct places. I tested using a "breakout box" which is a safer way of doing it.
It may be best if you read up about it first before diving in.;)

1677946410199.png

1677946410199.png

1 Manufacturer discretion -
GM: J2411 GMLAN/SWC/Single-Wire CAN
VW/Audi: Switched +12 to tell a scan tool whether
the ignition is on.
Ford: Infotainment CAN High
9 Manufacturer discretion -
GM: 8192 bit/s ALDL where fitted.
Ford: Infotainment CAN-Low
2 Bus Positive Line of SAE J1850 PWM and VPW 10 Bus Negative Line of SAE J1850 PWM only
(not SAE J1850 VPW)
3 Manufacturer discretion -
Ford: DCL(+) Argentina, Brazil (pre OBD-II) 1997-2000,
USA, Europe, etc.
Ford: Medium Speed CAN-High
Chrysler: CCD Bus(+)
11 Manufacturer Discretion -
Ford: DCL(-) Argentina, Brazil (pre OBD-II)
1997-2000, USA, Europe, etc.
Ford: Medium Speed CAN-Low
Chrysler: CCD Bus(-)
4 Chassis ground 12 Manufacturer discretion -
5 Signal ground 13 Manufacturer discretion -
Ford: FEPS – Programming PCM voltage
6 CAN-High (ISO 15765-4 and SAE J2284) 14 CAN-Low (ISO 15765-4 and SAE J2284)
7 K-Line of ISO 9141-2 and ISO 14230-4 15 L-Line of ISO 9141-2 and ISO 14230-4
8 Manufacturer discretion -
BMW: Second K-Line for non OBD-II
(Body/Chassis/Infotainment) systems.
16 Battery voltage
Table 1. OBD Connector pinouts
CAN bus acc

Dead, or wrong or faulty reader? Does your code reader work on another car OK? The Panda seems to be fussy and only really works with dedicated reader/software (MultiECU scan). One I had that was fine on a Ford-based Volvo won’t work on my Panda.

Stop-start will only work if car battery in good health and fully charged. Built-in protection prevents it functioning if charge is low, or demand is high (eg lights on, cold, aircon running etc). If battery more than four or five years old, stop-start likely not to work. (Mine rarely does now, and turns back on almost straight away if it does stop as system senses voltage dropping too quickly).

Triangle warning can be many things, from failed bulb to various system failures (see handbook). But also can simply be poorly battery.

Last edited:
When you start up watch the digital (red/orange) display closely - you may have a bulb out - the canbus puts up a message but only briefly then leaves triangle warning on. Not sure OBD reports yellow triangle issues (others on here will know better) it does report engine management light (yellow engine symbol). Just guessing really. OBD2 will be sending digital signals so not sure a regular multimeter tester will help you here?

Back