Technical Dead Coupe

Currently reading:
Technical Dead Coupe

ajayh_uk

My 16v na coupe died on me this evening coming around a roundabout. I thought it was empty because my fuel light was on. Walked up to the local garage, filled up my can with a fivers worth and stuck it in the tank.

Fuel light went out, but car would not start. turning over ok, but its like there is no petrol.. A passerby said it could be either the fuel pump, fuel pump relay or a fuse. checked the fuses, they seem ok, where will i find the fuel pump relay?????

dunno if it applys but i think on some cars you have to draw the fuel through the pipes (kind of bleed them)

could be a blockage in a pipe/filter from all the crud at the bottom of the tank. aren't the relays on the fuse box panel?

can you here pump working, try turn ignition on, wait few secs, turn off, repeat a few times that should prime the pump up, then try and start it,

No the pump is not priming, checked all relays in fuse box under the dash but there is a relay somewhere in the engine bay but i don't know where to look for it.

dunno if it applys but i think on some cars you have to draw the fuel through the pipes (kind of bleed them)

could be a blockage in a pipe/filter from all the crud at the bottom of the tank. aren't the relays on the fuse box panel?

I have checked the fuel filter, its clean

Last time I went around a roundabout in a 16v NA it was my tipo :(

Did it splutter or die instantly? Any unusual noises?

Just died instantly and no unusual noises.

I found the fuel filter relay just under the bonnet next to the ecu. fiddled about with it and now the fuel pump is priming but still not starting

try disconnecting the battery for 10mins. then reconnecting. sometimes you have to reset the ECU though shouldn't usually be a problem in this case.

Nothing doing, disconnected the battery and reconnected, fuel is getting to the cylinders but it is not firing up.

:bang: :bang:

PANIC OVER

Checked all wiring and connections, found a couple of loose connections, cleaned them off and re-connected. Bingo.... coupe fired up first time.

Thanks for the suggestions

Ajay

moral of the story being..... don't let your car run out of petrol.... naaa not really. the moral probably is on a coupe anything can go wrong!! :cool: would love to have one though.

by the way St. Mellons! :slayer: i found it pretty amusing when trying to get a taxi there when staying at my friends, sisters house, after a long night out in cardiff!! good times!

by the way St. Mellons! :slayer: i found it pretty amusing when trying to get a taxi there when staying at my friends, sisters house, after a long night out in cardiff!! good times!

Used to be known as Beirut, but its calmed down now. Taxi drivers will now venture out this far

(y)

Back