Technical Dash Cam Installation

Currently reading:
Technical Dash Cam Installation

odessit

Hi, read all the posts on this forum, but couldn't find an answer to my question. I was wondering if it's possible to get the power for my Dash cam from auto dimming rearview mirror? I've opened up the plastic and there are three wires going to it - 1 Blue&White and 2 Black wires. Was wondering if there are any kits or harnesses that can help me wire the power, or that's a bad idea and I can't do it?
Please help!

Thank You,
Vlad.

Attachments

• Fiat.jpg
    Fiat.jpg
    226.7 KB · Views: 600
It may be possible to take power from there buy where would your miuntthe wiring and transformer?
They pretty much all Run on low voltages like 3-5v so you can't just take power direct from the cars systems

It is really easy to run the wire from a piggyback fuse in the standard fuse box. The wire is just pushed up under the edge of the headlining and then, after prising off the side trim, placed under it. Then just press it into the gap between the dash and side trim and you are done.

Most dash cams will use a hard wire kit that has the right size usb on one side and the piggy back fuse on the other. So you don't even have to make up the cable. Just take one wire to a handy screw for earth and test the fuses for permanent live and ignition live to decide which you want to piggy back off.

Best of all it doesn't interfere with any original equipment and can be removed with no evidence of it ever being fitted.

It would be much cleaner and wiser to take the feed from the fuse box or from the back of the cigar lighter socket where fitted and route the wiring up behind the windshield side trims to the dash cam.

The wiring to the dimming mirror is probably not rated to power something like a dash cam which usually has an internal battery to charge and can draw upwards of 500mA

Back