General damp boot carpet ..any common path ??

Currently reading:
General damp boot carpet ..any common path ??

Hi,
my nieces punto has got a VERY wet boot capret,

I've checked the usual supects;
nothing spilt ,
headlining is dry and unmarked ( rear wash tube area),
no obvious rust holes in bodywork above carpet,

it's a 3 door,
So I'm going to check the clasped rear windows are pulling down tight,
anybody think of other paths for the water..??,

I'll let you know what I find, ( hopefully not a gaping rust hole in the floorpan..!!)

Thanks,
Charlie

hey, i noticed some wet on my boot carpet i looked for the problem and it was the because id took the tyre offf due to popping it and put the space saver on and i hadnt bolted the little kit thing down if you know what i mean?
heres a picture off google to show what i mean :p

1038-020812-153237-931-PTIMG.jpg

check all round the boot seal for anywhere it might not meet properly (sit in the back while someone hoses down the back of the car.

also check the rear lights are fitted properly

Hi my stilo 3 door had similar problem took me 3 months to find culprit after fitting new seal checking lights and so on, it allways used to come from the left side on mine and where it was is behind the boot trim below lights the sealant that was fitted on the body seams had come away i noticed a black mould line going down where the rear slam panel joined the quater on back of boot get a torch inside there if its there it will have a mould line i cleaned mine up put sealand in it and then undersealed it as its out of site and hey presto a dry boot never had water in it since, puntos may be slightly different but worth checking paul

AND SOAKED REAR SEATS...!!

Hi,
thankfully , the main culprit of the water ingress was VERY easy to find..,

the frost had thawed so all the roof parts were wet,
I pressed on the top edge of the rear folding "quarterlight" windows ( 2 door)to see if they were pulling down tight with their catches and they LOOKED tight, but as I pressed firmly there WAS a drip or 2 to the inside of the car,

undid the toggle to move the glass outwards and there was a rip / tear to the rubber weatherstrip - probably been "nicked" by the feet of roof-bars ( canoe carrier),
I'm going to try and get a replacement strip to fit, but for the meantime I've filled the void in the torn seal with mastic and left to go off ,
so hopefully once it's cured the squish against the glass will be similar to the original rubber.. Here's hoping,

anybody seen a guide for getting the window out..??,
I know there are screws holding the rear buckle / latch , but I cannot see the front hinge arrangement (ELX with good trimming),

Cheers,
Charlie

Last edited:
Back