Technical Damaged ABS ring on rear hub

Currently reading:
Technical Damaged ABS ring on rear hub

davyowens

Managed to hit my rear hub ABS reluctor ring (magnetic rubber composite) with the wire rush whilst cleaning the hub stub-axl bolts for removal,
banghead.gif
,so I could replace the rear disk backing plate - result is ABS warning light now coming on so looks like a new hub/bearing assy required, pity as these are still almost new having replaced them just last year. Pity I cant just get the reluctor ring itself - or can I? - now wishing I'd kept the old hub/bearing assy's when I replaced them, the ring off one of them would have pulled me out of a hole, an expensive slip of the wire brush...
Anyway I'm hoping the ABS warning light will go out during first drive cycle once hub is replaced.
Does'nt take much to damage one of these.

I thought they were integral to the brake hub (been looking at a new rear wheel bearing) .. though only from grainy photos.

How did you damage it with the wire brush? They're normally a solid metal ring with castellations round the outside.. so a wire brush is what I'd use to clean it too.

Ralf S.

Yep, school of hard knocks; it is Peat - the new bearing hub complete with ring @ 28 quid - not too hard to change it, Abs light went back out before I reached the end of the street so all good now :), thanks for your help everyone.

Last edited:
I was trying to clean up the 4 through bolts which fix the hub & stub-axle onto the sub-frame so I could fit a new brake disc backplate prior to MOT, these bolt can be seen on Davron's post above, as can the back-plate, sensor & ring (brown) - you can see how close the reluctor ring is to the bolts - (the bolt come in from the rear of the back plate where the shock mount is, the esposed treads corrode, but if you give them a good clean, they do come out easier, but a stupid mistake by me non-the-less....anyways all sorted, my 03 plate JTD goes in for it's MOT tomorrow.

Last edited:
Agreed - it would be difficult to replace the ring itself without damaging it; even if I had one.
If I ever need to clean these 4 bolts again, I'll undo the 32mm center nut & remove the bearing /hub assy first, that would have the added benifit of allowing the bolts to be cleaned right round without having to turn them to expose the other half of the threads.....that's what you get for cutting corners :)

Last edited:
Yeah too right mate, changed the hub & fault cleared straight away, Thanks for reply.

Back