Technical Cruise Control switches off

Currently reading:
Technical Cruise Control switches off

blabummu

Hi. I own a 2016 500X. Have had an ongoing problem with Cruise Control for about 6 months. All is fine under 65 mph and for short stints but faster or longer and it switches off. Trying to accelerate using the CC uphill has same effect. I have to switch off the ignition for 5 minutes to reset it. I've had it in the garage who say the diagnostic shows the CC is working fine. Totally frustrated. Any ideas?

Is yours an Auto or Manual?

For both, the higher the speed to more load on the engine in any gear. At speed you will be in top gear. Next incline, heavy head wind, etc. is going to really ramp up the engine load.

On an autobox I'm wondering if it wants to change down? On the autobox does in normal driving a change down switch CC off?

On a manual box any gear change WILL disengage CC. I think (fairly sure) CC will disengage if the engine is struggling and thus running full turbo boost and throttle.

If you have the turbo boost guage then set this to display and watch what happens during CC and the conditions where you have had CC disengage. Will probably disengage when to are topping out for a period of time. The car wants you to change down.

Now try the same run in 4th and 5th. Does CC still disengage when the engine load and boost are lower?

Thanks it's a manual gear box. I will try what you suggest but I've had the car 4 years and always driven the same way and never had a problem until recently. I only use the auto setting on the driver select thingy (auto/all weather/turbo). It actually switches off when this happens so it can't be used again until I have stopped and turned off the ignition for a few minutes.

Thanks it's a manual gear box. I will try what you suggest but I've had the car 4 years and always driven the same way and never had a problem until recently. I only use the auto setting on the driver select thingy (auto/all weather/turbo). It actually switches off when this happens so it can't be used again until I have stopped and turned off the ignition for a few minutes.
Are you saying that the Mode Selector (auto/all weather/sport) turns off or just the CC?

Hi, I have just purchased a 500X, 2015, and a similar issue. Works fine first time on a journey. When trying to reactivate later in the journey doesn't want to function. Frustrating. I wonder if it is a software glitch. I have tried lots of options to see why it won't reactivate part way through a journey :mad:. Does any one know if there has been a software up date? Thanks.

Heaving read my post again on engine load then on a manual box I think when in CC the load gets to heavy (just like when not in CC) the change down gear comes up on the dash and the car will drop out of CC.

Also both the brake and clutch pedal "top" switches will disengage CC. On long run, heat into car and under dash pedal space it may be that the clutch or brake switches are engagining. They are very sensitive and you would never know, expecially the clutch pedal switch.

My money is on the clutch or the brake switch. Pressing either pedal will disengage the Cruise.

I'm not sure how you can test either.. but there may be some adjustment possible on the switches (e.g. a threaded rod) to compensate for wear and to get a precise adjustment clearance etc. so it's worth having a look at that and backing any adjustment off a little, if possible.

Failing that, you can detach each switch in turn from its pedal and tie it up out of the way, just to see if that stops the disengaging. If so, then you will have at least proved the issue is with the switch.

As an outside chance, it could be the buttons on the wheel. Mine has an Off button under the 4 main "compass points" buttons that switches off the Cruise or the Speed Limiter etc. (i.e. it's not the Cancel button, which just temporarily disables the Cruise, before you Resume again). That might be sticky or dicky...

The "Off" button on the wheel usually gives a message "Cruise Control turned off" etc... whereas the clutch/brake switch disengagement does not.
And the problem only happens at >65mph, when the pedal switches might be picking up more vibration etc.... so for me, at the moment, it's more likely to be the pedal switches than the steering wheel.

Ralf S.

Back