Technical CRUISE CONTROL FAULT CAUSING OTHER ISSUES

Currently reading:
Technical CRUISE CONTROL FAULT CAUSING OTHER ISSUES

I've just completed a 2017 Sport for my sister in law and she is having some problems. When I did the car, how I didn't see it is beyond me, but as you can see from the photo the two main parts of the cruise control stalk are missing. I didn't even know the car had it as you can't actually see the broken stalk when you are sitting in the driving seat.

Anyway, after she got the car a couple of days ago and pointed this out to me, she had a random number plate lights not working message and of course, the two number plate lights are not on. She has then had random engine error/engine light, car gone into limp mode with stop start not working etc etc, turned it off, back on again and all wa OK except engine light on. She brought it round, I plugged it into MultiECUScan and have read the the following codes:

B12CA-13 - as well as P0554-92 which shows an understandably open circuit on the cruise control.

Does anyone know whether this B12CA-13 could be related to the cruise error? Has anyone ever had any other issues with any cruise control issues?

I've bought a complete new clock spring with the stalk for the cruise and intend to replace it all next week but am wondering whether the other issues are connected.

When I turned then engine on whilst doing diagnostics, no errors on speedo and the number plate lights were working, so all a bit random. When she drove home, she turned the lights on, and up it came again.

My first thought was hatch wiring, but is it a coincidence?

Attachments

• ca485850-8702-45f6-883d-58f52b995212.JPG
    ca485850-8702-45f6-883d-58f52b995212.JPG
    241.7 KB · Views: 253
  • cc8ed1f3-6aea-4cf2-8af6-87236342f621.JPG
    cc8ed1f3-6aea-4cf2-8af6-87236342f621.JPG
    676.3 KB · Views: 70
  • e3ebc363-3c02-44fa-9110-7d5d613409f3.JPG
    e3ebc363-3c02-44fa-9110-7d5d613409f3.JPG
    729.5 KB · Views: 57
Suspect it's a general electrical issue as there are so many unrelated errors. The cruise may be a red herring.

The initial "Alternator" error might be significant. Is it charging OK? Alternator wiring secure? Otherwise I'd be checking earths and rear hatch.
Last night she told me she opened the boot with the button on the boot, drove a few miles, up came the number plate light errors and then she couldn't open the boot unless using the remote. Did what she was doing, went home and it was OK. It is sounding like it might be the boot wiring, I'm sort of hoping it is. Battery on the car was completely dead when I got it. My Topdon jump starter got it going, I charged it up and it's been in there fine ever since, whilst I've been repairing it. After her using it for a day, it went flat. She managed to jump it and then when she got back here, it started up fine. Have put a new battery in. Still getting the errors randomly as above but so far, touch wood, holding charge. Will be trying to get to the bottom of it on Thursday when I change that clock spring.

Quick update on this. I replaced the complete hatch handle incorporating the number plate lights. I swapped with another car and the fault transferred to that car. The Sport one is working perfectly now.

As for the limp mode problem, after replacing the entire coil spring with the three stalks and clearing codes, the car has been running faultlessly every since so it must have been the open circuit on the broken cruise control knob that was causing the intermittent issues.

I have a very happy sister in law who now has the black Sport instead of the mint green lounge. She just told me that attitudes of other drivers are different now, they all want to race her. I think they may think it's an Abarth.

Quick update on this. I replaced the complete hatch handle incorporating the number plate lights. I swapped with another car and the fault transferred to that car. The Sport one is working perfectly now.

As for the limp mode problem, after replacing the entire coil spring with the three stalks and clearing codes, the car has been running faultlessly every since so it must have been the open circuit on the broken cruise control knob that was causing the intermittent issues.

I have a very happy sister in law who now has the black Sport instead of the mint green lounge. She just told me that attitudes of other drivers are different now, they all want to race her. I think they may think it's an Abarth.
😂👍🏼
it’s a lovely looking car

Although I would love to have a mint one (but with Abarth horsepower please) it is to some a rather girly colour.
I remember having a Marbella (spanish Panda) and a Mercedes S class at the same time. Treatment difference by other drivers was massive.

Happy sister in law happy life?

gr J

Although I would love to have a mint one (but with Abarth horsepower please) it is to some a rather girly colour.
I remember having a Marbella (spanish Panda) and a Mercedes S class at the same time. Treatment difference by other drivers was massive.

Happy sister in law happy life?

gr J
I agree, although it's just been bought by a 25 year old fella

Back