Technical Coupe electrical fault?

Currently reading:
Technical Coupe electrical fault?

swinster

I bought my fiat coupe 2.0 20v 3 weeks ago(an amazing machine), parked it at work last week, then 4 minutes later it went on fire:cry:. Fire started in central dashboard section, just above stereo. Inside of car more or less gutted. Isurance company now looking it at, think i'll lose my No Claims tho:cry:. Fireman said it was probably an electrical fault. Can anyone explain how this might've started? Is there a history of electrical faults with this car? Cheers(y)

if it had an aftermarket head unit it may have been started by a wiring short on the live wire. this can happen because the live and ignition switched live are on the opposite wires to how they should be for most headunits. swapping them over can be done badly, leading to fires. its also possilbe all the wires have ben choped and joined together, i hate when people do that!

have a look behind the head unit for evidence.

Someone has probably replaced a fuse with a screw, or other item. Or used a fuse with too high rating.

So that a short circuit was unable to make it blow.

Be careful sifting through charred remains of wires they can cointain nasty chemicals. I would use gloves.

Is there a history of electrical faults with this car?
First fire I've heard of in a Coupe.
If it's above the stereo, my prime candidate would be the stereo. People bodge the wiring all the time for stereos. Combine that with the fact that there's little space behind the stereo, and the wiring may get squashed as you push the stereo in...

Back