Styling could some of you nice people help me price up my mods :)

Currently reading:
Styling could some of you nice people help me price up my mods :)

right, i have made a list of the mods i want to do to my car, i have priced up a few things but was wondering if some of you could add to the pricing for me as i have no idea about most of it.

Thanks in advance

Lower 60mm (Spax?)
Re-spray Black inc dent removal £800
Rear Opening Windows (Louie £??
Tints
Hornmann Kit
Tailgate (Louie £50)
UT Steering wheel
Alloys (Louie £??)
Exhaust system
Turbocharger
Up rated brakes all round
MK1 Punto camshaft
Full UT MK2 interior
Electric windows
Anti-roll bars
Roll cage
Clear indicators
Clear side repeaters
Front strut brace
Rear strut brace
Bucket seats

any tips on specific stuff would be great as i want to go all out on my car.

Cheers,
Ryan Edge

bulldog5046 said:
right, i have made a list of the mods i want to do to my car, i have priced up a few things but was wondering if some of you could add to the pricing for me as i have no idea about most of it.

Thanks in advance
any tips on specific stuff would be great as i want to go all out on my car.

Cheers,
Ryan Edge

I'll do my best, but am doing a lot of things off the top of my head. If you were to get everything new, you'd be looking at £1000's, and you'd have to really think is it worth it when you could go out and buy a Uno Turbo for less.

Your best bet is to try and source a lot of the parts second hand, look in scrapyards, Ebay etc. Maybe even try and source a 'parts car', a rotten turbo with blown engine could be had for peanuts and will supply a lot of the parts you require. Join up on the MSN turbocollective group as many of the guys on there are breaking turbos.

1. Lower 60mm (Spax?) - Depends on the quality. For springs alone you're looking at roughly £60 - £80 a set. But really you need to buy the dampers to go with them else your suspension won't work properly. For a complete kit you'd be look at at least £200...

2. Re-spray Black inc dent removal £800 - Depends on where you get it done. With painting you really do get what you pay for. Also, Black has to be one of the most difficult colours to spray correctly. Also, is your Uno already black or are you going for a complete colour change? If you go for a colour change expect the costs to rise considerably if you are going to get a decent job done. A cheapo job will do the outside, but under the bonnet, sills, boot area etc. won't be touched. That always looks cheap and nasty.

3. Rear Opening Windows (Louie £??) - Probably get a set from a scrapyard for approx. £10-£20

4. Tints - No idea as I don't like them! Bear in mind the new laws regarding tinting windows. You can only black out the rear windows/ tailgate, the front side windows can only be done to a certain percentage and the windscreen is very limited. You can buy the film yourself, but unless you know how to apply it then it will look crap. I'm sure some places charge £200 or more to tint the windows. Why not stick with the genuine Fiat tinted windows as fitted to the S and turbo model 3 doors?

5. Hornmann Kit - Ask Fro$ty! New they are VERY expensive (£750? £1000? UNPAINTED), second hand anything from £250 depending on condition. Also bear in mind how much it would cost to fit...

6. Tailgate (Louie £50) - What kind? Mk1 or Mk2? Turbo or standard? Mk1 Turbo tailgates can be had from about £10 (that's what I paid for mine off Ebay). Add in extra to change over to mk1 lights. If you HAVE to go for a flushed one you will have to pay more as all the Chavs want them :p A standard one will probably cost about £15 from a scrapyard.

7. UT Steering wheel - I've seen them go from about £15 on Ebay. That's for the mk2 Momo wheel.

8. Alloys (Louie £??) - Depends on the alloys. Mk1 Uno turbo from about £40 a set. Mk2 turbo from about £60 - 70. These are the minimum prices, also dependant on whether they have good tyes fitted (more for good tyres obviously). Any other wheels depends on the style as some are more 'cool' than others. The bigger the wheel (14/ 15/ 16") the more you will pay. Brand new aftermarket sets with tyres can be had from about £300 upwards.

9. Exhaust system - What kind? Standard from a trade supplier (fit it yourself) will cost around £100. Aftermarket you will pay more. To have it fitted more still.

10. Turbocharger - Depends what kind. If you have a non turbo Uno then I assume you will be looking at a complete kit. Check the Cinquecento section as many of them have bought a kit (Van Akin I think), but it's not cheap...

11. Up rated brakes all round - Expensive unless you find them second hand, but even then you will be looking at a rebuild for safety reasons. Aftermarket front calipers (Wilwood ) will probably be in the region of £80 - £100 EACH.

12. MK1 Punto camshaft - From a scrapyard, anything from £15 upwards. You really ought to buy the complete head as the valves are set by bucket and shim, and you need the buckets as well because of the way the parts wear into each other. Head can be had from about £30 upwards.

13. Full UT MK2 interior - Check on Ebay. You can get them from as little as £20 depending on condition.

14. Electric windows - Standard Uno parts you will need to get the motors, switches, relay and wiring loom from a turbo or SX. Find someone breaking a turbo and get the parts, probably about £25 the lot if you're lucky. Other options are a universal kit from Ebay, somewhere around £40.

15. Anti-roll bars - There's only one at the front. Find a turbo being broken up and you'll probably get it for about £15- £20. But make sure you get the rear-most track control arm brackets AS WELL AS the roll bar brackets. You must have these to fit the roll bar, and they are NOT available from FIAT anymore...

16. Roll cage - Depends on whether new or second hand. Probably a minimum of £250 - £300. Also bear in mind that a 4 point cage is pretty useless unless you just want it for show, a 6 point cage is essential if you want to take it racing.

17. Clear indicators - Scrapyard or Ebay. £10 upwards.

18. Clear side repeaters - As above.

19. Front strut brace - Ebay or motorsport shops. Probably £40 upwards.

20. Rear strut brace - Don't bother, as if they only fit onto the shock absorbers they DON'T work. They must fit onto the tower mounting points, and I haven't seen any that fit like this.

21. Bucket seats - Anything from £80 each new, going up to much more depending on make and quality.

Add all these parts up and you have to ask is it worth it? You can buy a good turbo from about £800 - £1000, most of which will already have these parts fitted. A really nice turbo can be had for about £1500, which is way cheaper than all the mods you want to do.

Alternatively, you could find a dead turbo and buy it to strip for many of the parts you listed above. This would be my recommendation.

Also bear in mind that if you spend £3K on your Uno, no matter how good it is you'll never get that money back when the time comes to sell it. Your insurance company might not be too keen on all the mods either.

If you can't do a lot of work yourself, the costs of doing what you want will be astronomical. Why not start out doing the smaller jobs first, learning as you go along? Fit a turbo interior, front strut brace, clear indicators, turbo steering wheel etc. Easy enough to do, and once you do that you can progress onto the bigger jobs.

Alternatively, save your pennies and buy a turbo in the first place and save yourself the hassle! (y)

Chas

Hello mate well i've done a rough price guide for you. here it is :D

Lower 60mm (Spax?) approx £80 for springs £250 springs & shocks Remember a 60mm drop will be very bumpy and u would need ur arches rolled if u have really big wheels on it.
Re-spray Black inc dent removal £800 really do get wat u pay for
Rear Opening Windows get em from a scrappy mate
Tints professional job ur looking at about £150 to £200 dont go for the halfords tints as they peel off and look tacky!!!
Hornmann Kit brand new costs £1400 dimma kit is £1750 and thats just the kit remember theres gona be fitting and painting costs if you cant do it yourself. They are like gold dust these days, very hard to get hold of and so if you find one on ebay then u have to snap it up straight away else it will be gone guaranteed. I got my hormann kit for £200 second hand :D But i had to drive all the way up to stoke on trent to get it, but a kit like that is so worth it :)
Tailgate you can get em on ebay or best to look on turbo collective if you want a flushed one etc
UT Steering wheel bout £15-20
Alloys depends on make/typed/size/condition etc remember with bigger wheels arches need to be modified.
Exhaust system full scporpion exhaust system about £150 or more look on ebay for good bargains.
Turbocharger a hybrid t25 ur looking at about £700. but again these can be found for half that price if you look around.
Up rated brakes all round for pads and drilled discs about £120+ depends on brand
MK1 Punto camshaft dont know
Full UT MK2 interior can be bought 2nd hand fairly easily search for broken UTs
Electric windows again same as above
Anti-roll bars SAO
Roll cage £300 for a 6 point OMP one, can be bought from demon tweeks
Clear indicators £22 a set or on ebay for less
Clear side repeaters £10
Front strut brace £55 for an OMP adjustable one
Rear strut brace about £25 or less
Bucket seats depends on type and make

Check out http://www.motorsportworld.co.uk/ they do most things for unos

I gotta say Chas is right the costs of doing this much work to a standard uno would be sky high. If you want a turbo then its best to get yourself a tidy uno turbo to begin with. It will eliminate the uneccessary work and cost of doing a turbo conversion. Or search for a really cheap uno turbo with a good engine to use as a doner car which is what i did. I used everything outta the turbo and converted my 1 litre into a turbo but seeing as i did most of the work myself with help from my uncle :D i cut down my costs. And again search for bargains on ebay or on the turbo collective site as people are always selling their bits and pieces on there too. I'd say the best thing about doing up a car is that you can appreciate the car more and know it inside out even though as Chas says when it comes to selling it you will most likely lose out. I know it is unlikely i will make back every penny on my car but then again its been fun to make a car as unique as mine and it is all worth it (for me anyway) when you go to shows and people appreciate the work that has gone into the car. That feeling is priceless mate :D

F R O $ T Y

Last edited:
thanks for your help guys i will total it up in a bit, i understand it will be alot of money but if i do this i have no intention of selling my car in the near future.

i want my car to be unique but still practical, so not costing me a bomb in petrol. the reason i want to turbocharge my 1.0L is that it will keep my insurance down and i can still have about 150bhp with most stock parts, the camshaft isnt a nessesary change but it will had more bhp.

i fully understand i would never get my money back but if possable i want to hold onto the car for as long as i can, untill somthing serious means i would have to sell it.

if i take the plunge i want it to be a thing of beautiy like frostys, which i could then put on show.

the turbocharger i want is a Garrett GT12 (41mm,50trim, 0.33 A/R) as smokeme used on his 999cc

http://smokeme.coconia.net/index.htm

Cheers,
Ryan Edge

EDIT: Chas yours totalled £4125 but i entered higher prices on most things just to be safe.

Frosty yours totalled £5022, so i think its safe to say it going to be a big project and cost in the regeion of £4000 to £5000 depending on how much i get things for, i entered the price of a new hornmann kit on Frostys total and a used on Chas'

Last edited:
Thats alot of money to spend, considering the value of the car. You must be earning well ryan :D

Why not a 1.9 JTD punto/stilo? You could pick up a nice 52/03/53 reg one for that! Also can be remapped to about the same power.

Its your money though ;)

bulldog5046 said:
thanks for your help guys i will total it up in a bit, i understand it will be alot of money but if i do this i have no intention of selling my car in the near future.

i want my car to be unique but still practical, so not costing me a bomb in petrol. the reason i want to turbocharge my 1.0L is that it will keep my insurance down and i can still have about 150bhp with most stock parts, the camshaft isnt a nessesary change but it will had more bhp.

i fully understand i would never get my money back but if possable i want to hold onto the car for as long as i can, untill somthing serious means i would have to sell it.

if i take the plunge i want it to be a thing of beautiy like frostys, which i could then put on show.

the turbocharger i want is a Garrett GT12 (41mm,50trim, 0.33 A/R) as smokeme used on his 999cc

http://smokeme.coconia.net/index.htm

Cheers,
Ryan Edge

EDIT: Chas yours totalled £4125 but i entered higher prices on most things just to be safe.

Frosty yours totalled £5022, so i think its safe to say it going to be a big project and cost in the regeion of £4000 to £5000 depending on how much i get things for, i entered the price of a new hornmann kit on Frostys total and a used on Chas'

the insurance will be alot cheaper on a standard UT than a modified 999cc one :)

If you do go the same route as smokeme and run a reliable 999cc @ 150bhp, you will need to factor in the cost of custom manifolds, fuel management systems, forged pistons, performance headgaskets and engineers fees on lightening/balancing the engine & polish n porting the head, fuel pump upgrade, and god help your tranny :D

If you just want a turbo on a small engine, why not look into dropping in the lancia Y10 turbo engine...

joecinq said:
Thats alot of money to spend, considering the value of the car. You must be earning well ryan :D

Why not a 1.9 JTD punto/stilo? You could pick up a nice 52/03/53 reg one for that! Also can be remapped to about the same power.

Its your money though ;)
same power maybe but its going to weigh a **** lot more than my uno, i was reading somwhere that smokeme wrote if you dont mention the power increase your insurer wont put your premium up too much, i will phone about an enquire about it before i want it done anyway, if it did go ballls up i could have a UT engine put in and register the car as a UT.

Back