Technical Core plugs - need some advice...

Currently reading:
Technical Core plugs - need some advice...

Jonfiat

Well our little Seicento is almost there, the garage had actually done some work on it - two front tyres and it should get the MoT, good stuff.

However.... In the process of changing the waterpump, thermostat, timing belt etc, etc, it was noted that the lower, (larger) core plug was weeping rusty fluid.

A screwdriver was duly employed to rupture and remove the offending core plug. The core plug in the head was also removed for good measure and two new plugs ordered from 'Fiat' - well that's what I was told they came from.

To cut a long laborious story short, they have had nothing but trouble with the both plugs! The head plug went in fairly smoothly, however leaked. The lower block plug was a absolute bi*ch of job, apparently access was really difficult. Looked ok to me, however apparently not??

As a result the garage knocked some impressive dents into the block around the core plug - I was extremely, extremely unhappy about the treatment of our car!:tosser:

In fact when the plug was fitted that advised that they'd fitted it with Loctite!!!!..... As far as I'm aware this isn't the norm??...

Anyway that was a few days ago, I was informed today that they'd actually resorted to Araldite to secure the plugs in place!!

Just hope they haven't put 'radweld' in there too!

What are your thoughts folks??

Cheers

Jon

I'd do it again. New plugs from FIAT or Fluffy. For access to some you have to remove the engine.

If thhe new ones are concave on the lower face, you use a wooden block and whack them till flat -- that's what forms the seal (rather like the big dimple you see on some jam jars). But a little sealant -- I'd be inclined to use just a smear of hylomar -- won't do any harm.

On t'other hand, if it's not leaking....................

Reactions: saw
I think, that as long as she's not leaking and that they haven't used any radweld type of product - then we'll be happy.

Cheers for your response.

Jon

Back