Technical Cooling Fan

Currently reading:
Technical Cooling Fan

Good evening

Is it possible to replace just the lower Fan it looks like the bearing as gone as it goes out of balance and starts shaking i have checked to see if its come loose but all seems tight except the there is a lot of play in the fan shaft or do i have to purchase a complete new shroud with 2 new fans
its for a 2017 fiat ducato 130 mj

Thanks in advance for any info Paul

I was just about to ask the same!!
Haven’t been on for a while either,

Mine wobbles slowly to a stop at engine turn off, assumption is it’s the motor or bearing, last 3.0 180 it was a complete only cowling inc 2 motors

Have you had yours done ? Any ideas on how easy it is on the drive to do?

Good Morning ROLOPOLO sorry for the late reply been mad busy with work i've not had chance to replace it yet but i was working on the transporter the other day replacing a bottom ball joint and had a good look at when i noticed that the top cooling fan wasn't connected up FIAT must of not done this after the engine replacement last year

My thinking is that the bottom FAN as been working overtime when the aircon as been used and failed it seems that its the plastic fan that's worn and the motor shaft hasn't any play in it
I have connected the top fan back up and disconnected the bottom fan for the time being and i'm going to try and source a replacement fan from the salvage yards as it looks like they can be removed i'm going to do it when i replace the top mount bearings as they are creaking and grinding again also going to put uprated springs in at the sametime from VB suspension after having a chat with them they say the stock springs are way to soft and leave very little damping when fully loaded hence the top mount bearings getting a hammering

Springs too soft!! Tell my dentist that lol he’s laughing at the ££ he takes after mine rattle out [emoji23][emoji23]

I’m hoping my new fan assy is landing today,

When cooling fan kicks in the whole van vibrates and at engine off it makes a right vibration as it runs on for a few seconds

Seen a video on it on you tube and had s bit of advice so ????
I’ll be going in once I have it

I’ll report back mate
Wish me luck ??

Suggest springs are NOT too soft, just too short. Get a longer, similar strength spring set and it will sort the bottoming and take strain off top mounts.

IMG_1099.JPG

Headlights out
Grill out
Centre grill big thing out
Two 13mm nuts holding rad brackets each top side out
Centre top X member (bit with the bonnet catch on) out and bungee out the way

Release air filter pipe befor the member

Gently lift the whole rad/condenser assy up and forward

Gently push the top two clips holding the radiator fan cowl top side mounts in place,
Then lift out,

I ended up turning the cowl on its side, the I can unclip wiring and the clips holding the harness to the cowl
Then reverse

Took me two hours

I suggest buying some top grill to inner big grill clips first as I’ve smashed nearly all mine

Quite impressed with myself [emoji51][emoji23]

Suggest springs are NOT too soft, just too short. Get a longer, similar strength spring set and it will sort the bottoming and take strain off top mounts.

Thats the plan i did price up having full air suspension fitted but at over 4k + vat

not had chance to get a price for the VB springs been stupid busy this last 6weeks

View attachment 201392

Headlights out
Grill out
Centre grill big thing out
Two 13mm nuts holding rad brackets each top side out
Centre top X member (bit with the bonnet catch on) out and bungee out the way

Release air filter pipe befor the member

Gently lift the whole rad/condenser assy up and forward

Gently push the top two clips holding the radiator fan cowl top side mounts in place,
Then lift out,

I ended up turning the cowl on its side, the I can unclip wiring and the clips holding the harness to the cowl
Then reverse

Took me two hours

I suggest buying some top grill to inner big grill clips first as I’ve smashed nearly all mine

Quite impressed with myself [emoji51][emoji23]

Not to bad to do then

Are the fans removable from the cowling and how many £££'s was a new complete cowling

Regards Paul

Do you know were to get some uprated springs just been quote for VB comfort springs £435 for them or £710 fitted i'm going to fit them my self its a bit of a crap job as i did it on my old ducato a mate of mine as hydraulic spring compressor

Regards Paul

Not to bad to do then

Are the fans removable from the cowling and how many £££'s was a new complete cowling

Regards Paul

Hiya Paul
No they’re a complete assembly, £130 I paid off eBay
Stupidly, due to the 7 days not 2 it took to arrive (from Poland not uk as advertised, and he’s not responding to my invoice request, and it’s allegedly 24mth warranty!

Ring coastal Motorhomes with your vin, they confirmed the part number and also do genuine and a pattern part in stock, not much more than what I paid,
My loss of mine goes, but at least it’s not the nasty job I thought,

Did the job today in the rain took me 3 hrs with a few brew stops took me about an 1 hr just to get the old cowling out most of it trying to suss out how to unclip it lol
once out the new one went in with out any issues

i have kept the good motor from the old cowling as a spare just in case

I'm changing the front struts next week and top mounts when i install the new springs i have bought they have an extra coil in them but the spring weight is exactly the same as standard and they have assured me it won't affect the ride when empty i got them from a company called MAD so fingers crossed it will sort out the harsh ride when loaded

Did the job today in the rain took me 3 hrs with a few brew stops took me about an 1 hr just to get the old cowling out most of it trying to suss out how to unclip it lol
once out the new one went in with out any issues

i have kept the good motor from the old cowling as a spare just in case

I'm changing the front struts next week and top mounts when i install the new springs i have bought they have an extra coil in them but the spring weight is exactly the same as standard and they have assured me it won't affect the ride when empty i got them from a company called MAD so fingers crossed it will sort out the harsh ride when loaded

When you say "spring weight", do you mean same diameter and strength wire? Hope so. If so, ride height will be higher and the ride will soften a little. Too many go for heavier springs to raise height and suffer from harsher ride. Only issue (minor) I have found with a 40mm lift was the suspension topped out more often. Glad I didn't go more or it would have been annoying.

When you say "spring weight", do you mean same diameter and strength wire? Hope so. If so, ride height will be higher and the ride will soften a little. Too many go for heavier springs to raise height and suffer from harsher ride. Only issue (minor) I have found with a 40mm lift was the suspension topped out more often. Glad I didn't go more or it would have been annoying.

Morning

yes same spring just an extra coil the other springs i was looking at where for motorhomes which are at or near the max weight all the time which would of made the ride very harsh when i'm running empty

Well fitted the new springs and top mounts after stripping the shocks down one of them was completely knackered with a massive gouge in the shaft about 30mm down from the threads which must of let all the pressure out
Ordered new shocks from Coastal motorhomes with next day delivery good price and great service from them also replaced the bottom ball joints saying its done 160k miles in the last 2.5 years

all i can say is what a massive improvement the ride unladen is good not harsh at all but the big difference is when fully loaded no more crashing over cats eyes or potholes now the suspension as the extra support from the new springs

i got them from a company called M.A.D suspension not cheap at £419 but in my opinion well worth the money just got to get used to the extra height getting out of the van now lol

Back