Technical Coolant temp sensor failure

Currently reading:
Technical Coolant temp sensor failure

Kenniee

Hi all,

I have a new problem with my 2.4 Stilo. It won't start anymore since it has been giving me the fault: "coolant temp sensor failure". I always thought that even if the sensor didn't work, the car would start and run.
Anyone has any experience with this fault? any advice?

If that sensor isn't working, the car does not know how cold it is, and does not know how much fuel to deliver when starting the car.
Usually when the sensor isn't connected the ECU uses a worst case scenario in which it considers the engine temperature to be something like -35 degrees Celsius....that can easily flood the engine.

I suspect you have been driving the car like this for some time,, but this tine you flooded the engine and possibly will not start until you remove the spark plugs and let them dry off all the fuel, also there is a lot of fuel in the cylinders, so that has to dry off to. I would remove the spark plugs to check if they are wet... if they are (99% they are) then leave the spark plugs out at leas 4-6 hours so the petrol in the cylinders evaporates.

If it's giving you that error, i suspect the circuit is totally opened, so it might be the sensor or the wires.

Thanks for the reply! Though I checked the spark plugs and they were completely dry. I left them out anyway but no difference. Also when I unplug the coolant sensor the car wont start. Since I haven't noticed any difference before, I am starting to think it might be a fault in the ecu since also with the sensor disconnected it wont start.

Back