Technical coolant change

Currently reading:
Technical coolant change

homer999

any one got any idea how often the coolant needs to be changed on a 1.2 grande punto active 8v 07 reg. There doesn't appear to be a service interval for this in my hand book

Every 2 years I think, brake fluid every 3 years.

Assuming you have the Paraflu red, their website advises

Paraflu UP red

Paraflu UP , [UP=Ultra Protection] is a long life coolant which is an Organic Acid Technology {OAT} which has a life of at least 5 years.

Have you had the car from new? if not check for after market hose clips at top and bottom radiator pipes as chances are the radiator has been changed because they leak.

Personally I don't change coolant unless I renew radiator, thermostat or coolant sender etc as I often find you create more problems by disturbing the system.

Thanks for the advice.
I have never really bothered with changing coolant in the past, and I normally keep cars for at least 5 years/ 75,000 miles, but the last car I had was a Punto 51 reg, which had to have the head gasket changed at about 6 years/ 70,000 miles. I was told that this was because the radiator had rusted and become blocked , which caused the head gasket to blow.
I was also advised that the rusting radiator was due to the fact that the coolant had ( probably ) never been replaced - the anti - corrosive elements in the coolant had become less effective over the years, which had resulted in the radiator becoming rusty.

I was also advised that the rusting radiator was due to the fact that the coolant had ( probably ) never been replaced - the anti - corrosive elements in the coolant had become less effective over the years, which had resulted in the radiator becoming rusty.

Absolutely correct
I changed the anti-freeze and brake fluid every 2 years without fail on all previous cars. The Punto mk1 is 13 years old and still going strong, the barchetta 15 years likewise

BUT the whole point of these expensive organic acid mixtures is you no longer need to change so frequently, and they are very expensive for sure.

Think T's advice is right unless you intend to keep the car for ever.

What I do is to syphon out the contents of the plastic header tank every Autumn and replace contents with new (Red)anti-freeze. This way you avoid getting air locks and mix is changed enough to avoid frost damage. I do this to SWMBO`s car and my own.Never had a burst rad yet.

Know its an old post..

Anyway, anyone know how much coolant is needed to fully replace on a coolant change, don't have a manual as car is 2nd had -.-

Back