General consumption

Currently reading:
General consumption

Zeeuw

Hello,
My new 1.3 MultiJet Qubo needs a lot of more diesel as Fiat promised. They let me believe that it was 4,5liter/100km / 62,8mpg / 1/22.
But it's a lot more. 6,1 liter/ 46mpg / 1/16
Does anyone have experiences with this engine?
Thanks,
Zeeuw

Hi Zeeuw

I have the 1.3 Multijet Qubo dualogic version. At the moment I am getting 45.2 MPG. My understanding is that it should get better after a few thousand miles once the engine has settled in. With regards to 62.8mpg I think this will be very hard to acheive and should be taken with a pinch of salt, but you are right it should be better than 46mpg and I hope it does not stay at this, or I will be complaining for sure. Have you tried the eco button I have and it does not seem to make a jot of difference, but then again it could be my crap driving style!

Anyway apart from this issue I hope you are enjoying your Qubo as much as I am enjoying mine.

I'm afraid that the small 1.3 in the biggish blocky Qubo will probably even out at 45 - 50mpg: max. You might do better on a long trip not exceeding 70 on the clock, in summer.

The 62 suggested is under artificial test conditions and unlikely to be achieved in the real world. But, the same engine in the 500 does now seem to be delivering better consumption, so perhaps there is a software update?

The revised Multijet2 engines coming next year should offer an improvement - I hope.

Hi all!

According to the little computer I get 50-52mpg on long runs, or 46-48mpg if Deborah drives (she is used to the Multi, which has a lot more grunt, and returns 35mpg, but its computer might be bad at maths!)

I use TRIPA for overall mpg (i.e. have never reset it), and TRIPB for the per-tank mpg. Overall I think it is around 49mpg. I have to say that I got 53mpg once, but it took a lot of self-control and I didn't exceed 60mph.

Done 2000 miles in the Qubo now and I still think it is a fantastic car!

Cheers,

Lee

Update: On last fill up I got 54.2mpg out of the Qubo on a run from Chippenham to Poole and back. Looks like the engine is loosening up (2550 miles at fill-up)...

Multi is improved since the service and replacement EGR...

Cheers,

Lee

Last edited:
Hi all

My mpg has dropped from 45.2 to 44 which I am quite pleased at considering I have a roofbox on, I think onboard HAL is telling me fibs! As I thought putting the roofbox on would have a drastic effect on mpg but it would appear not.

To fit the roofbox you need eight foot legs and arms like Mr Tickle.

Hi Monkeyboot,

Did you get a box that is wide enough for the longitudinal bars, or did you have to put cross bars on first? Do you have a photo with the box on? I'd be interested in seeing what it looks like.

I find that the Qubo has better storage than the Multi, but for camping it would certainly be easier to pop a box on the top than get a towbar fitted.

To fit the roofbox you need eight foot legs and arms like Mr Tickle.

Paid for the car to be washed/hoovered at the weekend, the chap that did it stood on the rear wheel and grabbed the roofbar to wash the roof - I must be stoopid, as I would never have thought of that...

Cheers,

Lee

Hi Radiocode

I used a box that I already had and bought cross bars, I took the box off today to wash and wax the vehicle ( I am way too tight to pay someone) I will try and get some photos up on Friday. I am using it this weekend to go camping with my wife and two kids and I am confident that evreything will fit in.

I don't kow if it would be easier or cheaper than fitting a towbar, but I have heard that fitting a towbar can affect the resale value.

I too would never have thought of standing on the wheels, I use some half length steps, taking care not to fall into the vehicle by overstretching(not concerned with falling off, only not damaging my baby).

It may be easier to assemble the box and bars on the deck then lifting it up, only works with two tall people though. Having the roofbox fitted doesn't seem to affect stabilty, I have driven on plenty of country roads this week, but not in high winds as of yet.

Hi all,
I'm interesting to buy a Qubo diesel because
I consider that it's too economical.
I need to drive every day, 90 km away from my home and altidute 600m
It is a usual greek provincial road. (with curves and hills)
Every year I drive 200 times this route (180 km)
I need yr advice. Is the Qubo diesel the best choice, regarding the consumption
and the maintenance costs, for these conditions?
Could you estimate the MPG?
Do you believe that Dualogic improves the consumtion in these conditions?

Thanks in advance

Guest4,
Much as I admire Fiats I find myself asking if you have considered the Dacia? I am assuming it is available in Greece, and from what I've read they are good, solid, cheap cars. Or am I being an idiot?
The Qubo is a well engineered car, but I have no idea of its reliability in Greece. Should be OK though. The engine was designed to be tough and it is supposedly a good drive. I'd avoid the Dualogic though, even though it is supposedly good. Keep it all simple. How many Qubos are there about?
Take a good look at one and ask for a test drive, if possible.

Guys,
thnx for yr replies

I have never seen any Qubo yet here.
But Greece is difficult country for such cars.
Τhe people in Greece is interested for design and performance.
Also the diesel engines are not preferred here.

But I believe that Qubo(diesel) will be practical and too economical
for the greek mountain provincial roads.

I have no idea about Dacia. But I'm looking for a practical and economical
car with logic value. (not necessarily for a cheap car)

may be some Qubo users could help me..
thnx anyway!

Not that many Qubos have sold here yet. I think it is because they are relatively expensive. In fact I have only seen one on the road since they were launched, and that belonged to the dealer. I'm sorry, but this is the reason we are getting so few responses here; the car is simply not yet well known. But the Diesel version is definitely the one to go for.

PS. I've just remembered this. Take a look.

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/road_tests/index.htm?id=365

Last edited:
Qubos do seem to be in short supply. I was lucky as my local dealer's demo vehicle was exactly the spec that I wanted - Dynamic diesel in black. He said that the delivery time for a factory order is almost 3 months.

If you want a demo, how about trying your local Citroen or Peugeot dealer? The Nemo and Bipper are pretty much identical, although with different diesel engines. I feel that the Fiat offers better spec for the money, though. Better image, too. Funny how things have changed in the past couple of years since the 500 came out. I wouldn't have dreamed of buying a Fiat 5 years ago, and would have preferred a Peugeot.

Hi my father has a qubo 1.3 d and has just been a run to Arran from Dumfries and his was averaging 46.6 mpg and it cost him £23 in fuel so he is happy with his consumption.

I've just taken my Qubo diesel out for a run for the first time. 50mpg was fairly easy to achieve, but that's not much better than my Mazda 6 estate on the same journey. Hopefully, it'll improve as it runs in.

Hi there, I've had my Dualogic 1.3 Multijet since early January 2009. 9,000 miles so far and we consistently average 45mpg which isn't bad as it's quite hilly where we are. Haven't notice any increase as the engine "loosens" up.

We often use a roofbox and find it very stable (if a bit hard to reach up and fit it). We've got a soft roofbox (Thule Ranger 90) which is wonderful as it folds up to almost nothing when you want to store it and also fits in the boot in case it's ever needed.

After almost a year, we love the Qubo - just wish it had a bit more power so it could be more economical at motorway speeds.

Hi my 7500 mile qubo dynamic 1.3Mj gives so far av of 47.8- this is mix of a/b/ and motorway.
It def does not like over 70mph or drops, but I start to stay in 5th even when as low as 30 and although acelleration is drastic, it sips the fuel!
May your hills be more downs that ups! regards Toady

Hi,
Disappointed. Got about 43-45 mpg (imperial) for 1st 1,500 mls. Mainly urban dual carriageway driving, with some country road, and odd city centre trip.
Just did annual wine run, and it was drastic.
Outward was Glasgow-Hull-Zeebrugge-Lille with an overnight at Oldham and via Leeds for a days work. 399.6 mls average 41.27 mpg.
Returned by same route with no diversions. 356.9 mls average 37.88 mpg.
Back seats were out to help loading and increase payload by 47kg.
Outward the payload was up to 235kg (with full tank), and on return up to 510kg. Drove at 80mph (on speedo) when possible, and lower speeds for roadworks and in towns.
Our Xantia HDi 90 always got 43 mpg at higher speeds on this trip. so it took about half an hour extra to get home this time, and we had to stop for fuel. Unfortunately the Xantia is getting a bit old to risk the trip, and we can't justify the equivalent replacement for one trip per year.
Otherwise the Qubo did well for such a small engine. Shap was fine because nothing pulled in front to slow us down, and the odd hill on Saddleworth Moor was the only time it struggled to maintain speed.
The Xantia combined figure is about 50 mpg, so we had hoped to get about 86% of the Qubo's combined, sadly not to be.

Back