Confusion - insurance prices

Currently reading:
Confusion - insurance prices

I'd rather not pay the interest on my card. I've had a credit card 2 years and always paid in full so don't wanna break the habit.

Same, but don't forget thats what credit card is for, and if the interest on that is going to be a lot cheaper then its silly not to. And you can pay if off at your own pace, more on a certain month etc if you can afford to.

You might be charged an extra 1-2% for paying on credit card, but still probably going to be cheaper all in, and you might be able to sweet talk the insurance worker into waving the charge :p :eek:

I've been driving 4 months, when I passed, my insurance was 1350 with tesco value on a fiat seicento!!! 4 months later I gave confused.com a bash and taa daa....to my amazement my insurance dropped to 541 with insurethebox.com on a 6000 mile policy. they don't have curfews or penalise you for driving like an idiot, but if you drive well they reward you with bonus miles, it has an antitheft tracking device, and also if you were to crash in the misspells the night somewhere where no one would find you, they ring your mobile if your car is stationary, if they can't get hold of you, they ring up the emergency services. This could save alot of lives, my dads friends son died because of the time and place he crashed, his life might have been spared with this. And look at the price difference!! I checked insurance for myself on a 2l Peugeot as well just to be nosy, and it was only 700!! After 4 months of having my licence? at the age of 22? Pretty sweet I'd say

I've been driving 4 months, when I passed, my insurance was 1350 with tesco value on a fiat seicento!!! 4 months later I gave confused.com a bash and taa daa....to my amazement my insurance dropped to 541 with insurethebox.com on a 6000 mile policy. they don't have curfews or penalise you for driving like an idiot, but if you drive well they reward you with bonus miles, it has an antitheft tracking device, and also if you were to crash in the middle of the night somewhere where no one would find you, they ring your mobile if your car is stationary, if they can't get hold of you, they ring up the emergency services. This could save alot of lives, my dads friends son died because of the time and place he crashed, his life might have been spared with this. And look at the price difference!! I checked insurance for myself on a 2l Peugeot as well just to be nosy, and it was only 700!! After 4 months of having my licence? at the age of 22? Pretty sweet I'd say

I've been driving 4 months, when I passed, my insurance was 1350 with tesco value on a fiat seicento!!! 4 months later I gave confused.com a bash and taa daa....to my amazement my insurance dropped to 541 with insurethebox.com on a 6000 mile policy. they don't have curfews or penalise you for driving like an idiot, but if you drive well they reward you with bonus miles, it has an antitheft tracking device, and also if you were to crash in the misspells the night somewhere where no one would find you, they ring your mobile if your car is stationary, if they can't get hold of you, they ring up the emergency services. This could save alot of lives, my dads friends son died because of the time and place he crashed, his life might have been spared with this. And look at the price difference!! I checked insurance for myself on a 2l Peugeot as well just to be nosy, and it was only 700!! After 4 months of having my licence? at the age of 22? Pretty sweet I'd say

Certainly a massive difference. And that's with you as the policy holder and 0 years NCD I assume?

What part of the country are you in out of interest :confused:

Same, but don't forget thats what credit card is for, and if the interest on that is going to be a lot cheaper then its silly not to. And you can pay if off at your own pace, more on a certain month etc if you can afford to.

You might be charged an extra 1-2% for paying on credit card, but still probably going to be cheaper all in, and you might be able to sweet talk the insurance worker into waving the charge :p :eek:

Good idea, thanks mate. So fu****g glad this forum exists!

@craigneate I had something similar called Ikube which restricted my driving hours. Seemed good at the time but when all my mates were out after 11pm and I couldnt due to the box, was a bit pants. That discount is huge, but I believe shopping around throughly can also reap the rewards. I would hate to think I had anything fitted to my car to be honest. Glad it worked for you though!

@Most Easterly Pandas

So been looking:

1. I could buy the insurance on my credit card which would put my bill to around £1200, then do a balance transfer to a 0% interest card and pay that off. However, some credit cards do not have such a high limit initially. So.

2. Open a new card, just buy the insurance on there. Seems the simplest?

Natwest do a 15 month 0% interest so sounds good to me. Just wanna make sure im not doing something stupid here

Last edited:
Good idea, thanks mate. So fu****g glad this forum exists!

The only problem I have is that I often rack up 4-500 pound on my card each month so would not like the interest on that tbh,

You wouldn't pay interest on the £4-500 if you pay that off each month still like you currently do as far as I'm aware.

Not to clued up on balance transfers myself as I've never had to do one.

bank.JPG

Can someone explain the interest here? It states 0% interest for 15 months, but then below, 'maximum 56 days if balanace is paid in full and on time'

That is basically if you use your card as normal each month, you can time it right, so that a purchase can be made just after the statement is issued - by the time the next month's statement comes out with that transaction, you have a week or so to pay it off - and if you do so by the deadline, no interest will be charged [therefore getting a maximum of around 56 days].

Of course, during the interest free period of purchases, no interest is charged in anycase.

It may be worth while signing up to Credit Expert and they will match your credit card deals to your personal circumstances.

Last edited:
Well, that's how I read it - that is normal wording for people who want to use credit cards but pay it off monthly without incurring interest.

Also set up a direct debit for the minimum payment so that you are covered. Miss a payment and I bet the deal will end.

Asked for another opinion and the reply is below. Absolutely confused now.

"
Money super market work on commission.... and the reason it came up top is that after the 56 day interest free period on purchases, the interest rate that gets applied is comparitively low, however a 12 MONTH interest free on purchases would still be better as long as at the end of the 12 month period you'd payed it all off"

Last edited:
Insurers will insure you car usually for a cheaper price if it is on the road. I ask why this was and basically if the car is on your 'drive' or 'garage' they gaining access to your property and therefore they would have to liason with your home insurance (if covered in garage) as a house theft. So for example with my insurance, its £25 pounds cheaper for me to insure the car as 'parked on the street' as asposed to my drive way :)

Change it on your quote details see if it makes a difference

This is half right. It is often cheaper if your car is parked on the road overnight but the reasoning is a bit off.

Because car security is now so good, it's easier for criminals to break into your house and just grab the keys. If the car is parked on the road they've no idea which house it belongs to.

It's nothing to do with insurance cross-over.

Well the time has come again. Renewal.

Adrian flux who im with at the minute, have offered £760 third party only with no option of going fully comp until im 21 (august).

Admiral have offered £790 fully comp (no mods though).

Decisions!

What's more is that I can't afford a one off payment so it looks like its gona be £98 per month whichever I choose, at a cost of £1100 :( Damn!

We've currently got Admiral multicar on 3 of the 5 cars in the house. Youngest has declared ALL his mods (else I wouldn't have let him do the multicar with my name added) & I have it in writing from Admiral - they are OK with lowering up to 50mm.
Interestingly, he's started looking round for new insurance. He can add his GF's dad & get a huge reduction (the guy's a taxi driver, has points & less NCD than me!). I drive a minibus / bus, have a squeaky clean licence plus 11 years NCD.
I was paying £80 more for my car by having the multicar but the lads were getting far better deal but if they can get better deals elsewhere then I'll be ditching admiral this year.

Might be worth shopping about for other companies with multi vehicle policies come renewal (y)
Well, youngest reckons he can get a far better deal by going it alone, so I might as well shop around for myself.
Some say they've had good rates on multicar but even when it was just me & the OH, I couldn't get a price that came in better than when i go it alone.

Back