General Condensation Issue

Currently reading:
General Condensation Issue

charlottejxnes

Hello,

I have a fiat 500 1.2 lounge 2012, and I am experiencing really bad condensation issues. The glass mists up to the point where you can't see at all and does not go away. I am guessing that there is a leak somewhere in the car - has anyone else experienced this and know exactly where the moisture is coming from?

I have checked that the recirculation setting is turned off after seeing a previous post and that has not worked.

I have also checked the tailgate seal and the rear light seal and they seem to be in good order - does anyone have any other ideas?

Many thanks

Hello,

I have a fiat 500 1.2 lounge 2012, and I am experiencing really bad condensation issues. The glass mists up to the point where you can't see at all and does not go away. I am guessing that there is a leak somewhere in the car - has anyone else experienced this and know exactly where the moisture is coming from?

I have checked that the recirculation setting is turned off after seeing a previous post and that has not worked.

I have also checked the tailgate seal and the rear light seal and they seem to be in good order - does anyone have any other ideas?

Many thanks

Its actually a common issue according to other 500 owners I know. I read that you should have the air flow turned to allow outside air flow only. This definitely helped my 500s when I did it.

Its actually a common issue according to other 500 owners I know. I read that you should have the air flow turned to allow outside air flow only. This definitely helped my 500s when I did it.

That, and run the A/C & heater together (providing the outside air temperature is above about 3C). Running the heater alone just increases the air's capacity to hold moisture, which then condenses out once you've stopped and the air cools down.

Also leaving damp coats and other clothing in the car will exacerbate the problem (that's really just stating the obvious).

Condensation is at its worst on those damp, soggy days when the temperature is around 10-12C with 100% humidity; we've seen quite a few of those in Bournemouth recently.

Last edited:
Just in case you missed it, NEVER turn off the AC, and have the ac system checked/recharged, if never done its probably low and impaired. Also check the
water level in the radiator, not easy, use a strip of card slip into tank then hold against the side to determine the level, our heater matrix failed leaking coolant/water into the cabin, BUT you could really smell it.

Check the cabin filter too?

It was 1c outside today and my Mazda's AC cuts on and off frequently keeping the air coming in fairly dry helping condensation, that said the rear screen condenses quite a lot even so.

Last edited:
The first thing to check is always the rubber drains in the scuttle (space under the windscreen), as they can easily become blocked by leaves and other debris from washing the car. Also, the air conditioning unit has a drain that should be fitted through the centre of the floor under the dash, driver’s side, so that’s another potential culprit (sometimes the tube is kinked).

With my first 500 (2010 model) I discovered a minor water leak from the seams at both ends of the scuttle, in the area behind the suspension strut mounts and behind the bonnet hinges. The water trickled down the A pillars and into the sides of the front foot wells.

I was surprised that neither side was sealed adequately but it was easy enough to add sealant and verify that the sides of the floor stayed dry when the area under the windscreen was flooded. Sorry that I can’t find a photo for you but I think I posted one before; so I’ll search now.

Here we go! :) https://www.fiatforum.com/500/308975-water-leak-into-footwell-source-found.html?308975=#post3091329

A search in this forum for “water leak sealant” turned it up as the first result, but there are a number of other results, particularly relating to water entering the boot through the bumper brackets. It would be as well to determine whether you have water sitting in the spare wheel well or in the front foot wells, so you know which end of the car to start looking for leaks :)

Water always seems to end up at the lowest point, so if the floors are dry front and rear, then you’re ‘off the hook’ and have only natural condensation problems. Cleaning the inside of the windows helps in this case.

-Alex

Last edited:
I've had this problem since I got my 500 in 2015 as well as the inside freezing badly. I had it checked by the dealer who just told me that it was normal but there was no leak in my car.

I also had a mechanic friend look at the car and put it under a water ingress test and again found no leak. He did say there was excessive moisture but couldn't find a reason for it.

Good luck and if you find a solution please let us know!

I'm not suggesting that the problem in this link is the same as yours but condensation is usually caused by excess moisture inside the car coming from whatever source, so is your rear wash/wipe functioning correctly?

Paul m.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is something that's been puzzling me too. We have a pair of 500C's and mine has no issues with excess condensation - my wife's, on the other hand, is sometimes so misted up you can't drive it away immediately in winter. In the local climate it isn't a real problem, but I've often wondered why they're different.

I have the roof open at every opportunity if it's not actually raining and perhaps this tends to minimize moisture in the car, but what has me puzzled is where are the ventilation exit points, if any? All my previous cars had such vents, usually in the rear pillars.

Am I missing something?

This was the roof of my breaker car the other day when I took the roof lining out. So many water droplets.

Attachments

• undersideofroof.jpg
    undersideofroof.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 226
When I took the head lining out of my breaker car the other day, the metal roof was covered in drops of water. I took a photo of it and will post in tomorrow. I couldn’t believe what I as seeing.

My abarth is like this. Looked like rain on the roof! The lining is plastic backed so I'm assuming they do allow for moisture.

I have a project for the weekend to track down a potential leak as the carpet is soaked and going mouldy! yay! :(

Back