Technical Concerned about brake disk

Currently reading:
Technical Concerned about brake disk

Hi, i have a 1.9 Mjet and took my wheels off the other day to clean the brakes, in doing so, i notices a crack that goes from the centre, to the edge of the disk, practically straight...

It is a fairly fine crack but i can feel it with my finger nail, should i have the 2 rear disks replaced? what could have caused this?

Cheers,
Mike

Hi, i have a 1.9 Mjet and took my wheels off the other day to clean the brakes, in doing so, i notices a crack that goes from the centre, to the edge of the disk, practically straight...

It is a fairly fine crack but i can feel it with my finger nail, should i have the 2 rear disks replaced? what could have caused this?

Cheers,
Mike

both my front disks did the same, fiat said it was nothing to worry about, but for piece of mind i replaced anyway.

think heat causes it, like breaking heavily from high speed. there pretty soft disks so that could be why.

hi
,inor hear cracking is acceptable ,though a crack that goes from the hub to the edge of a disc ,is not ..so i'd fit new discs

I have found the disc's dont last as long as the pads - hardly any wear on the pads when i changed them at around 35k but the disc's wear well worn.

Expecting to replace again shortly as getting close to 70k (looking at £60 plus £25 for pads from motor factor). I wish i had took to kwik fit last time as they would then guarantee them for the life time of the car.

thank you all, Ive actually notices there are 3 full length cracks (centre to edge) only 1 can be felt with the finger nail, ordered a set of pads and disks, £90 which i didnt think was too bad, should have them monday

Cheers,
Mike

:eek: WTF do u guys do to your cars / brakes?

I just sold my GPS on with 74,000 miles on the clock and the original disc rotors & pads on it!

I'd replace any discs in axle pairs that have cracks in them, and pretty damned soon TBH!

Back