computer trouble...

Currently reading:
computer trouble...

ok, well i got given this other day (not that one, but pretty much the same, mines just got 128 ram not 256)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DELL-DIMENSIO...goryZ179QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

it seems to all boot up ok and im on, and can click a fair amount of stuff, its running windows 200 pro, but half of the stuff i click on it does nothing! like i can get on control panel but i wanted to change passwords, get onto add/remove software as its full of junk but i cant.

so i put in a windows 95 disk, it didnt load up, went to my computer clicked on it there, still did nothing, did the same with 98, 98se, 2000 pro and then xp and none worked, and when i boot it up, normally theres a button to press for options and you can click boot from cd or something but on this theres just a screen with DELL and nothing about clicking F10 etc for options.

help! :bang:

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
So you can't get into the BIOS? Have you tried all the F buttons on startup, also the esc and del keys?

Sounds like either you haven't got an administrator account on win2k, or something is very corrupt. Either way, a full reinstall should cure it and you can download drivers for it from Dell's webs*ite. :)

JonnyBoy said:
So you can't get into the BIOS? Have you tried all the F buttons on startup, also the esc and del keys?

Sounds like either you haven't got an administrator account on win2k, or something is very corrupt. Either way, a full reinstall should cure it and you can download drivers for it from Dell's webs*ite. :)
what do you mean by full re-install? :confused: lol :eek: so you can download drivers that will make it errrr like new...? but bare in mind i probably wont be able to open em if i download em... all the important stuff doesnt open, just general crap does :bang:

JonnyBoy said:

yeah sounds like you have got a very limited system account, bit of an odd one.

beau_4076 said:
what do you mean by full re-install? :confused: lol :eek: so you can download drivers that will make it errrr like new...? but bare in mind i probably wont be able to open em if i download em... all the important stuff doesnt open, just general crap does :bang:

I mean a complete re-installation of Windows. i.e. format the hard drive to wipe out all the old data, reinstall Windows from a CD-ROM (assuming you manage to get into BIOS and make it boot from CD), then install the drivers specific to that machine.

As its a Dell comp then you can get it as good as new for £10.
If you can get an internet connection on that computer (god i'm gonna look stupid if your using that computer to post here:D) then ring dell, they take remote access of ur computer and reinstall everything as it was when it came from the factory. but like i said they charge £10. Might be cheaper to feed it to a local skip.

Dell only manage to make money by offering cheap prices (for cheap cr*p) and their after sales service is good, but it has to be as all their stuff goes faulty. Just never buy Dell is the best piece of advice here.

id never call dell unreliable! my mums work and old school has them and they never went wrong, first time this ones gone wrong after 5 years+

i had a laptop before my dimension 3100 desktop, and well, i threw abuse at it all the time, it ended up looking like this-

Image505.jpg

i dropped it daily and it just kept on going :D it even worked when i got rid of it, just the power cable had worn away and didnt want to buy another one cos i couldnt sell it on ebay cos look how it was! lol

il try and get on the options things on start up when i get it, still not got it yet, but i 'viewed it' last week and had a play around with it.

Yes, it is easy enough - just set the jumper cable, on the back of the HDD, to slave, and plug it into a spare IDE cable.

Then ensure you can see the new HDD in bios, before booting into Windows.

Hmmm, look on the HDD and you should see a little pic, telling you the jumper configuration - may say CS/Master/Slave or something similar - then look at the back of the HDD unit, and put the little jumper over the corresponding pins - as soon as the machine boots up, you will know if you have done it right or not.

Back