Technical Computer resetting itself,

Currently reading:
Technical Computer resetting itself,

Sloper

02 Doblo 1.9 JTD ELX
I have a 53 reg Doblo 1.9 JTD with just over 100K miles on it.

Recently, I've noticed the trip and MPG computer has reset itself to zero, three times in the last couple of weeks. It's never done this before.

On one morning last week, the keycode light on the dash stayed on all the way to work, but has remained off since :confused: There was a slight hesitancy in the car starting that morning, but I put it down to the cold weather.

Also, when using the keyfob to unlock the car, I've noticed I have to stand much closer than normal, press several times and also harder! ;)

Any ideas what the problem(s) is/are?

I am having the same problems with the key fob I had just put that down to needing a new battery but then the key fob works for weeks with no problems.
My Clock goes fast by a minute every week.

There's a similar thread in the Panda section. A weak battery gives low voltage when cranking and the trip resets, usually the clock also resets.
Problem with remote is probably also a weak battery, but a bit cheaper, although main battery being weak might cause central locking to fail to respond. Sort the big one first, you can always open it with the key, but you can't start it with the little one in the remote.

Hey, yes, the clock does reset too, I should have mentioned that.

I was beginning to suspect the battery myself as I've had the car two years and god knows how long it was fitted before I bought it. It always starts ok though, even in the cold weather we've had, although it did hesitate slightly once or twice.

My commute to work is only a 6 mile round trip and I've not been doing any longer trips lately, so maybe the lights, heater, cold starts etc. have taken their toll on the battery. I'll look into getting it tested and price up a new one. Halfords is around 100+ quid I think. (EDIT: just found them much cheaper on eBay)

Thanks all for the advice (y)

Oh yes, another question... This is my first car with a remote keyfob. How close or far away from the car does your remote normally work? I have to stand right next to it, but I notice other car owners operate theirs from yards away.

Last edited:
My Panda works from about 2-3 car lengths away, as did 500, Punto Mk2 and Seicento.
Corsa always worked 5-6 car lengths away, current Fiesta about 2-3.
1980s Renaults needed to be touching the car - not very remote.
1980s Rovers would work from quite a distance, but if they received the wrong code 3 times, they'd shut down and you'd have to use the key. Frequent problems in car park, owners being clever would cancel everyone else's. Had a work colleague thought it clever to leave key in car and only carry the remote. Until he got locked out. Company car park, lots of Rovers.

My Panda works from about 2-3 car lengths away, as did 500, Punto Mk2 and Seicento.
Corsa always worked 5-6 car lengths away, current Fiesta about 2-3.
1980s Renaults needed to be touching the car - not very remote.
1980s Rovers would work from quite a distance, but if they received the wrong code 3 times, they'd shut down and you'd have to use the key. Frequent problems in car park, owners being clever would cancel everyone else's. Had a work colleague thought it clever to leave key in car and only carry the remote. Until he got locked out. Company car park, lots of Rovers.

Mr. Portland Bill, ta for the info and the laugh :D

My own clock just reset itself! Though I have had the battery and altinator both replaced within the last 12 months

My own clock just reset itself! Though I have had the battery and altinator both replaced within the last 12 months

See if battery has a date code on it, date of manufacture. If it was more than 6 months old when first used it is likely to have a short life.

Have the battery tested. If its duff, should be replaced under warranty. Most have a 2 or 3 year warranty, some more than that. Hopefully you've still got the receipt.

See if battery has a date code on it, date of manufacture. If it was more than 6 months old when first used it is likely to have a short life.

Have the battery tested. If its duff, should be replaced under warranty. Most have a 2 or 3 year warranty, some more than that. Hopefully you've still got the receipt.

I bought it from my friends car shop they put a sticker on it with the date as proof of purchase!

Not sure it is the battery as I have been having probs with the clock for as long as I have had the car that was when the old battery was perfect. It keeps going fast at a rate of 1 minute per week. It reset tonight after I had stopped the car and then re-started the car to put the electric window up.

My money is on the battery causing the faults, even though it is not very old. Batteries, like any electrical item, can and do suffer early failure. My friend had a failed battery and had a new one fitted which failed after 5 days!

Back