computer case, will it fit- pics included

Currently reading:
computer case, will it fit- pics included

I'm not sure why I'm doing this - if you break your comp the forum would be Beau free for a while - but here goes..

Yes its a 12v fan.. but how many watts does it use? What RPM? Whats its CFM?

As I've already said Dell's control their fan speed to keep the noise down when the CPU temp is lower. If you change the fan it might not pass enough air when the CPU winds down the voltage = cooked CPU.

As you don't know the wattage of the fans you might draw too much and burn out the speed control. Especially as Dell's use lower power components as they give out less temp, therefore need less fans and less power from the PSU.

And the one you've already broke - Dell's have chassis intrusion switches. It's already recorded in the BIOS that you have opened the case. You really don't want your Dell to break or they will charge you for any repairs. Dell are not a charity. They have so many huge contracts (10k desktops/100+ servers) that the individual PC owner means nothing. I've worked for companies with multi-million pound contracts with Dell.. they're hard enough to get to help then so good luck getting them to do you a favour.

Last edited:
You know when I built my comp, I just bought the most powerful of everything in my price range and bunged it all in a switched it on... it Worked and 4 years down the line not a problem and its stays on practically 24/7

The only cooling fan it has in the one on the Processor, the rest are the ones built into the PSU and I don't remember my Graphics card having a cooling fan, maybe a really large heat sink (GeForce Ti4600 @ 128MB)

Why didn't you just build a computer? then you could have modded as you went.

TBH I've never heard of problems modding Pre Built computers, I slapped in a tone of stuff in my Packard Bell 6 years ago when I got it, I just read the Owners manual to see what would fit the MotherBoard and what maximums it could take and that is still running in the living room.

C'Mon Beau you can't ask others all the time, what happened to initiative and research? don't you go to private school or something? what are they teaching you? I thought computers were at the fore front of education, they are so simple to use and build I don't know why people pay people to do things to them, its not like its a car where it will kill you and some others or just explode if you mess up.

Go mod it, chances are nothing will happen and it will work (for longer then expected) and you can come back and say to everyone "HA! Told you so!"

Couldn't be arsed to read the whole thread, so sorry if this has already been said. Beau, our Dell's we have at work, if you open the cover on them (I was bored OK! :p) whenever you switch it on, during the POST, it displays this message:

"WARNING! COVER HAS BEEN PREVIOUSLY OPENED!"

Not sure if they fit that system to the home computers, but our work ones do

Well, POST is Power On Self Test - it usually beeps if all is well - or does other sounds if it isn't....

To get rid of the splash screen, try pressing ESC - most of the PCs I use don't have all that garbage on, so I can see what is happening.

Stuart DemonD said:
Well, POST is Power On Self Test - it usually beeps if all is well - or does other sounds if it isn't....

To get rid of the splash screen, try pressing ESC - most of the PCs I use don't have all that garbage on, so I can see what is happening.
already tried that, it does a long bleeb and just carries on starting.

You can clear the case alert in teh BIOS, then simply put a password on it - then if the PC needs to go back to Dell, they'll have to reset the BIOS via the battery jumper, but to do that the case will already be open ;)

Tada

I think everyone is being a tad harsh on young Beau - so what if he knackered his PC - it's his money, and he'll learn from his mistakes. I have been fidling with PC's for over ten years, in my time I have broken and fried all kinds of hardware - but also had a very many great triumphs from just grabbing my kahonas and giving it a try!

Nothing ventured nothing gained! Although it can get expensive!

Beau, You're 16 aren't you? have you ever thought of taking a PC Maintainence & Repair + Networking course at college?

I did when I was 16 you learn a lot of useful fun stuff and because you're young its free! :D

Learn more then you'd ever get taught in school or university about how to use a computer and keep it running.

Stuart DemonD said:
No it isn't :rolleyes:
...and no he won't!

Dell's chassis intrusion can be reset in the BIOS. To get in to the BIOS you press F2 during the POST (while the white progress bar is moving). There are no problems with opening the case on a Dell. They make it deliberately easy.
However, all the components on a Dell are tested to work with each other. Some of the parts they use are non-standard in terms of size, although they are standard in terms of function. The PCI slots are all standard, though some chassis sizes have half-height slots. Beau's will have full-height slots though. I think it's a bad idea to try and change the case. Ialso think it's a pointless idea, but that won't stop Beau, will it? :p
H

You think Dell don't have a master password? :rolleyes: And that the chassis intrusion is not recorded in a Dell only area of the BIOS? :rolleyes:

Packard Bell PC's are pretty robust for a prebuilt.. Dells though are different.

P.S. Do we really want to be sending him into the BIOS? Leave it alone, buy a 2nd hand one from your favorite ebay and practise fiddling with that.. Then you can start networking and experimenting along networking lines.

Trancendental, almost everything now has a fan on it apart from network cards :D

Back