Technical Coil pack identification 8v punto

Currently reading:
Technical Coil pack identification 8v punto

kevingrove

Hi , I have a punto 1.2, 8 v, 56 plate, with an intermittent rough running. My OBD tester shows error p0351 coil1 and the EMU light comes on, but; which coil pack of the 2 packs I have, is coil 1? I might be bad at searching, but can't find any info. (I only bought one replacement; ...yeah I know :) ) thanks for any assistance so I can avoid swapping and unverfiable testing.

Hi , I have a punto 1.2, 8 v, 56 plate, with an intermittent rough running. My OBD tester shows error p0351 coil1 and the EMU light comes on, but; which coil pack of the 2 packs I have, is coil 1? I might be bad at searching, but can't find any info. (I only bought one replacement; ...yeah I know :) ) thanks for any assistance so I can avoid swapping and unverfiable testing.

I suppose coil pack 1 is connected to cylinder 1 which is most far from the gear box

Possibly maybe I'm thinking of something else that goes 13 and 2 4

I'd guess not an engine, but something else maybe not related to cars at all. Would make a strange crankshaft, and probably some significant balance issues. I'd expect this to have been tried, many years ago, and discounted fairly quickly.
With most other things of course, we count odds and evens.
Let us know when you remember what it was.

if you are standing in front of engine, coil 1 is top one, or the one closest to firewall

Flisko, spot on! No 1 is at the back, 2 closest to radiator, eventually the problem arose whilst on the drive, checked error code was still telling me it was 1, the whipped off the LT(low tension) lead to the rear coil and no change, whipped off the LT for the coil near the rad, and the engine stopped. Despite changing the coils the intermittent problem persists, revving the engine to 4k rpm will usually cause the problem to go, and the it might or might not reappear the next time the engine is started. I'm suspecting the HT leads now.

P0351 is a detectable problem related to electrical performance of the coil circuit connected to the ECU. The ECU is not seeing the correct responses as it operates the primary side of the coil.

If you are getting P0351 the ECU is not seeing the correct electrical performance from the coil, plugs or wiring that are connected to the ECU. The problem could be caused by a good coil not producing the correct responses on the secondary side which is then detectable on the primary side connected to the ECU but i am thinking it is more likely there is a wiring problem on the primary side connected to the ECU

For example a loose connection might work normally at high speed vibration and badly at slow speed more chunkier vibration.

Last edited:
Back