General "Code Card" - Is it worth me trying to get a replacement, if that's even possible !!

Currently reading:
General "Code Card" - Is it worth me trying to get a replacement, if that's even possible !!

OldGeek

I'm the 4th owner of a 2007 Doblo MPV, and presumably one of the previous owners forgot to pass it on.

Is it worth me trying to get a replacement, or is that very difficult or expensive ? The radio does not seem to need any codes after battery disconnections.

I do have the orginal two chipped keys, one with the remote button, and one without.

I'm an incurable pessimist, so as I have done with all of my previous cars, I've had two non-coded keys cut as well. I keep one of those in a magnetic box (well) hidden underneath, and one of the chipped keys inside, (extremely well) hidden, and far away from the column sensor. Over the past 50 years this policy has saved me twice :)

The uncoded key gets me back in the car, and then able to retrieve the coded key.

I'm the 4th owner of a 2007 Doblo MPV, and presumably one of the previous owners forgot to pass it on.

Is it worth me trying to get a replacement, or is that very difficult or expensive ? The radio does not seem to need any codes after battery disconnections.

I do have the orginal two chipped keys, one with the remote button, and one without.

I'm an incurable pessimist, so as I have done with all of my previous cars, I've had two non-coded keys cut as well. I keep one of those in a magnetic box (well) hidden underneath, and one of the chipped keys inside, (extremely well) hidden, and far away from the column sensor. Over the past 50 years this policy has saved me twice :)

The uncoded key gets me back in the car, and then able to retrieve the coded key.
I agree with your philosophy, on the basis, if you prepare for it you will never need it :).
I have never, on all my old cars had a Code card given to me .
I believe most good locksmiths can supply and chip a fresh key from your existing working one and had this done recently for a daughters 2012 Fiat Punto with no issues. However I wait to be corrected;)

Thanks for the very prompt reply Mike.
I was surprised at how easy it was to get the two uncoded replacement keys. I just had to send a close up photo and the supplier was able to identify and cut them from that, for £9 each, and they fit perfectly.
My curiosity over the missing code card was piqued by other vague references about what it was also able to do, but as you've confirmed, they usually get lost, so I suppose I should give up on the idea :).
I'm amazed at how many car owners keep the spare coded key at home and then venture far afield, even abroad, with their then crucial "chip" dangling from a so easily misplaced keyring. But then again, I did admit to being a pessimist......

I believe the codes were not supplied in the UK due to insurance concerns but a Fiat
dealer can supply it if they are happy you are the owner and it is free, I have been
thinking of doing the same for my Panda but not got round to it, our local dealer
closed and the nearest is about 30 miles away.

I believe the codes were not supplied in the UK due to insurance concerns but a Fiat
dealer can supply it if they are happy you are the owner and it is free, I have been
thinking of doing the same for my Panda but not got round to it, our local dealer
I seem to remember that - about the code cards not being issued with the car in Britain. Like you Oldgeek, i'm a bit of a worrier/pessimist and it worried me a bit when I first came to learn about the function of the card but I did nothing about it and now I don't even give it a thought.

Thanks Ralph that clearly explains the somewhat confusing information I'd found by Googling the subject.
I think I'll give it a shot (especially if it's free :)) and report back here.

I wouldn't worry about it, I never got one with my panda, and never needed it 🙂

Yes, the consencus on here is exactly what I found when I made an enquiry to my local Fiat Dealer.

They were curious as to why I wanted one, and then explained about them not being needed for replacement keys. Even if I lost the original, they could supply a new one from the VIN number and proof of ownership.
Then I found a section towards the back of the handbook explaining how the numbers on the card could be used in emergency to start the car even if the code chip wasn't recognised. It sounded very convoluted though, becuase the only way to input the number was by sequentially counting flashes on the instrument panel LEDs. I think my simpler precautions of an unchipped key underneath and a well hidden chipped key inside will suffice... :)

Back