Coaxials or Components with this setup?

Currently reading:
Coaxials or Components with this setup?

jamiejesus

cheese on toast
On my Panda 100HP, I'm using the standard headunit with a Blaupunkt under-seat active sub. I've seen people recommending coaxial speakers with standard tweeters (which are in the door cards) with this setup on Fiat 500s, and others opting for components.

Seeing as I know naff all about ICE, which would be my best option for uprated front door speakers, and what are the pros and cons of each?

Thanks!

It depends, what music do you listen to, will you be amping. Does the car have tweeters already.
If your not planning to amp them and the car already has tweeters i would say you will get a better result adding a small amp onto the standard speakers.

If your hellbent on changing the speakers you couldnt go wrong with these.
http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/product/products_id/9119.html

But i will reserve judgment unitl i know a little more about your needs.

HI who ever told you to keep tweeters and use coaxiles dont really kown what they are talkin about.
It logic that the cross over on factory speakers is on the main speaker so if you use coaxiles then the tweeter wont get the right type of sound to them as the crossover will be on the main speaker which you will have removed. When you change to components they come with a new cross over to filter sound that perfect or for a small enough car like fiat panda you could get a high quality coaxile speaker i have used pioneer ts-e1702i in many a car they really good but if you going to use a subwoofer then go with components
If you do use coaxile then 100% do not use the orginal tweeter.
If you need any help then just ask and i will more than happy to advise.

Last edited:
The only thing i can add is the x-over capacitor on all Fiats i have dealt with has been attached to the tweeter.
But the point still stands as you dont want to have High frequencies coming from 2 places.

It depends, what music do you listen to, will you be amping. Does the car have tweeters already.
If your not planning to amp them and the car already has tweeters i would say you will get a better result adding a small amp onto the standard speakers.

If your hellbent on changing the speakers you couldnt go wrong with these.

But i will reserve judgment unitl i know a little more about your needs.
Basically;

Standard headunit
Blaupunkt THB 200A Active under-seat sub
Ideally some components now

The car has tweeters next to the door handle.

Can I fit upgraded components/tweeters/crossovers to the standard headunit?

Not looking to amp the components as the sub will be satisfactory :)

HI who ever told you to keep tweeters and use coaxiles dont really kown what they are talkin about.
It logic that the cross over on factory speakers is on the main speaker so if you use coaxiles then the tweeter wont get the right type of sound to them as the crossover will be on the main speaker which you will have removed. When you change to components they come with a new cross over to filter sound that perfect or for a small enough car like fiat panda you could get a high quality coaxile speaker i have used pioneer ts-e1702i in many a car they really good but if you going to use a subwoofer then go with components
If you do use coaxile then 100% do not use the orginal tweeter.
If you need any help then just ask and i will more than happy to advise.

I will buy some components in this case. As above really, can I buy some upgraded components and fit them, crossovers and tweeters using the standard headunit?

Thanks for your help and advice, much appreciated.

You arent really going to gain anything by just changing the speakers on such a low budget. (ok i understand £70 is a lot of money, just not on car audio)
Ill explain a little.
Modern original speakers are designed to be run from a head unit. This means they have a much higher sensitivity so will work better at low power than after market ones. After market ones are designed to work from a more powerful amplifier and have a low sensitivity. A low sensitivity will mean better quality output for the power put in but also lower output.

Also dont forget that a lot of money will be spent on geting the OE speakers to fit nice and snug.

Adding a small amp onto the standard speakers will allow you to improve quality and output of the standard speakers.

Will finish when i get home lol

Adding an amp to the standard speakers - will this be effective at higher volumes? I don't mean windows rattling loud, just a bit louder than normal. I'm after quite a bit of bass which is why I got the sub but I want the sound to be clear too, and not too trebley if that makes any sense.

How much are these little amps for components?

I will try and finish my post off properly in a bit as its only half complete. But any second hand small amp will do the Job. The better quality you buy the better quality it will output, but just bear in mind pretty much anything will be better than the standard head unit.
Obviously the gain will have to be set very low. Most standard speakers can take much more than their rated power with a clean signal. But you would have to be extra careful using the high level of the standard head unit as its not as clean as RCA.

The gain on the standard headunit set low, or the gain on the sub?

Am I right in thinking I set most of the headunits settings to 0, then find the sound I like by adjusting the settings on my sub?

Yeah gain on the amps not HU.

Yes. In a cleanly set up install you can make tweaks through the HU but i would avoid doing that on yours.
Moving the balance and fader isnt a problem its just the bass ,midle and treble.

if you get an amp with a built in hpf you can set it to 125hz or so and you can run the standard speakers pretty hard without killing them when they arent getting pounded with sub bass, you have the sub for that, the sound will be cleaner, and more powerful, less muddy. You should be able to get away with quite a reasonable overdrive. Not quite what you would expect but overdriving a speaker can be less damaging than underdriving because the cone is kept better in control so it is less likely to bottom out the suspension or see dc from clipping. In my wifes e60 bmw I fitted a 6 channel amp using the high level inputs and set lpf for the underseat subs, hpf for the speakers and i'm running 4x 120w rms and 2x 240w rms into standard speakers that were only seeing 4x15w rms from the crappy idrive stereo and the difference in sound is night and day and you can crank it right up with no distortion. 12 months on they are still ok, not blown anything yet.

Back