Tuning Clutch slipping after remap

Currently reading:
Tuning Clutch slipping after remap

danims98

Hello guys,

I've just remapped my 150HP Schumacher to around 185HP and the clutch is slipping at 5th-6th gear with the accelerator on the floor. Also slips on 2nd gear above 2500 rpm, when the torque is at his peak.

But I think that with standard map, my clutch is not slipping. I can change the map whenever I want because I have the programmer.
The clutch is the stock clutch with 110.000 miles on it.

What should I do?

Thanks.

Prepare to change the clutch, there's no telling how much onger it will last

But the problem is that the clutch is worn out or is that the map file is trash?

Because with the original configuration the clutch does not slip.

The extra torque created by your remap is causing it to slip, it will only get worse, 110k miles is a good lifespan for a clutch.

If you don't want to change it, you can revert the mapz but not saying your clutch won't continue to slip later.

Any advices on buying a clutch that is stronger than the original?

I doubt that you'll be able to find one... but that's a possibility.

Stronger clutches means more spring pressure, which would make your release bearing and the slave cylinder work harder. If you have an internal (concentric) slave, then I'd be inclined just to fit a new, standard, good quality clutch.. use Valeo only.

If you have an external slave cylinder then a stronger clutch is probably better, since changing the slave (if/when it packs up) won't be such a big job.

Ralf S.

I doubt that you'll be able to find one... but that's a possibility.

Stronger clutches means more spring pressure, which would make your release bearing and the slave cylinder work harder. If you have an internal (concentric) slave, then I'd be inclined just to fit a new, standard, good quality clutch.. use Valeo only.

If you have an external slave cylinder then a stronger clutch is probably better, since changing the slave (if/when it packs up) won't be such a big job.

Ralf S.

What about this:

https://www.dcperformance.co.uk/che...addle-performance-clutch-kits/bdc3183pdl.html

Hi, mine is doing the same thing on my 1.9 jtd 115hp. i also have mine to somewhere around 180-190hp and if i flat the pedal on the floor, in 4th or 5th gear she will slip easily.

Your clutch is simply worn, and that amplifies if you jam extra horses through it. In a couple of weeks i will replace the complete clutch kit including the flywheel.

I opted out on installing a reinforced clutch because it's my daily and i don't want it getting uncomfortable. I'm not running around everyday doing pulls or constantly accelerating hard so i bought a complete valeo clutch kit and i'm pretty confident i will have no clutch problems for some years.

So depends on what you do with the car, i don't know much about your engine's clutch but regarding mine, the original clutch that equips these engines are actually pretty tough and can handle a few extra horses.

Stay safe,

Rui Louro

Last edited:

Black Diamond stuff seems to be well made, so I'm sure their clutch kit is good quality.

On the other hand, it's expensive compared to a standard/Valeo clutch so it's a judgement call. If it was me, I'd fit a brand new Valeo 4-piece clutch kit, including a new flywheel and CSC (if you have a Multijet the cylinder is inside the clutch bell-housing, so it's best to change it while everything is apart).

That will also allow you to check and resolve any issues with oil inside the bell-housing. Any leak from the crank seal or the gearbox seal (or even clutch fluid from the CSC) could be getting onto the plates and not helping it.

At least with "new everything" (including new oil seals as needed) the beast will be the equivalent of brand new. A brand new clutch for a 150bhp car should be able to handle 180bhp, even if not forever.

Ralf S.

Back