Technical Clutch problems , cooling pipes & unidentified fitting.

Currently reading:
Technical Clutch problems , cooling pipes & unidentified fitting.

jamwar

Looking for help please! I have had a clutch problem, diagnosed as probable slave cylinder, gearbox out today, no obvious faults with anything but have noticed the little unit/joint below the servo in the photo has a damp look. No loss of fluid but possibly air being drawn could cause the problem? Difficulty getting gears, particularlyfirst & reverse, pedal sticking down, low pedal. Can anyone please tell me what this thing is/does. Are they available & can I bypass it?!! Thank you!
286364924_696951728198967_8914237818155820671_n.jpg

Solution
That's the clutch buffer (or delay) valve. It's job is to modulate the speed at which the clutch engages and dis-engages, in order to reduce shock to the transmission and/or clutch components. You *can* bypass it but you might get more "shunt" and eventually something will break. Fiat didn't put it there just to make the car more expensive to manufacture.

If it has a slight weep then I would take this opportunity to replace it. Mine (JTD) has run for 210,000 miles so they're not too weedy and a second-hand one from a low miles Stilo will probably last you for the rest of the life of the car, if a new one is too expensive.

Your symptoms are classic slave cylinder failure though. I presume it's a Concentric slave, if you're...
That's the clutch buffer (or delay) valve. It's job is to modulate the speed at which the clutch engages and dis-engages, in order to reduce shock to the transmission and/or clutch components. You *can* bypass it but you might get more "shunt" and eventually something will break. Fiat didn't put it there just to make the car more expensive to manufacture.

If it has a slight weep then I would take this opportunity to replace it. Mine (JTD) has run for 210,000 miles so they're not too weedy and a second-hand one from a low miles Stilo will probably last you for the rest of the life of the car, if a new one is too expensive.

Your symptoms are classic slave cylinder failure though. I presume it's a Concentric slave, if you're removing the whole gearbox.. so as above, I would also replace the clutch unless that has *loads* of friction material still on it. You shouldn't then have any more aggro from it for a very long time.

Ralf S.

Solution

Your symptoms are classic slave cylinder failure though. I presume it's a Concentric slave, if you're removing the whole gearbox.. so as above, I would also replace the clutch unless that has *loads* of friction material still on it. You shouldn't then have any more aggro from it for a very long time.

Ralf S.
Thanks for your help, now back up & running with a buffer in place!

Back