Technical Clutch pedal has no tension

Currently reading:
Technical Clutch pedal has no tension

Peter Lambert

Hello all im new to the site and im sure that this has come up before but has not had the chance to look through all the threads.

My clutch pedal has no tension to it i put my foot on it to put into gear today and it hit the floor like a lead brick in a swiming pool. the clutch itself as fair as im aware is fine had no problems or slipping so i can only guess its the cable but i have no idea of how to check this or if this is something that can be fixed myself any help would be greatly appreciated.

My Coupe is a 2ltr 20v R reg

Ok i now have an update the brake and clutch fluid was low so thats topped up but still no response to the clutch can so one please give me a heads up and maybe offer some advice????

Check the clutch slave cylinder - they go all the time.
Remove the battery, and underneath the battery tray, on top of the gearbox is the clutch slave cylinder (if in doubt ask someone to press the clutch pedal and see which bit moves). If it's leaking there will be hydraulic fluid all over it. Easiest thing to do is to give the pedal a few presses and then feel the underside of the cylinder with your hand. Wear gloves when you do this.
If the cylinder is going, then change it before it goes altogether and leaves you unable to depress the clutch.
Changing it is simple - under an hour, and pretty cheap (I reckon £20-30 for the part). Don't forget to bleed it afterwards!

thank you all for your help unfortunatly i dont really have the time to get to grips with the car so Im calling the AA out tommorow to recover the car to garage and going to be paying some one to sort out the problems for but many thnaks for your help and advice

Yeah could be your slave cylinder.

It happened to me a month back, I thought it might have been a cable but the clutch is hydraulic and the slave cylinder is a toilet roll sized tube under the bonnet that leaked all the Dot-4 oil everywhere.

I worked out that if I pumped the clutch pedal like a maniac for 10 minutes I could 'bleed' the air out and so long as I topped up the Dot-4 oil I could get it to the garage (albeit with great worry!).

The slave cylinder cost £50 and cost me £30 to fit by a local garage (although I had other bits done too like an oil change).

There seems to be a few other parts on the Coupe that are notorious - exhaust flex, sunroof motor to name a couple.

Fab car though, steers like a humming bird and everyone stares at it!

:)

Last edited:
Back