Technical Clutch issue?

Currently reading:
Technical Clutch issue?

PROV

Well after the failed droplink was repaired (see thread!) we are now home with not too bad a delay!

Which brings me on to another probelm......:(

After long motorway run on Monday to a hotel in France, as we pulled into the car park the car made the most awful clattering/rattling noise that appeared to be clutch related. This passed after about 30 seconds (it sounded like the car was going to shake itself to bits!). I tried to recreate and it did similar again but only for a few seconds.
The following day after no noises heard, on arriving back up north from Dover, clattering noise again on slowing down to park, this time sounded almost rotational, with a clicking noise. Again it didnt last too long.

Now on my commute to work all is silent again. Its as if after a long run there is an issue with the clutch or possibly the release bearing, or maybe the DMF?

Can anyone shed any light on this? Also if it isnt making any noises for mechs to listen to, would it be a case of having to remove clutch to check?
(Car is 1.9MJ 150BHP with 133,000 miles on the clock and original clutch)

Well the noise seems to be there now at some point on most journeys, even if for short periods of time. Spoke to mech at my local indie who said from what I have told him it does indeed sound like a failing dual mass flywheel. He reckons around £1k to replace along with a new clutch :( (the parts alone come to around £500)

Well it is indeed the DMF. Considering the mileage I dont suppose I can grumble too much :(

yep i would concur that it sounds like a dual mass flywheel on the way out or perhaps wear in the diff
also possibly a cv joint

i have a similar noise from mine and it definitely doesnt have a dmf (TJet)

Last edited:
It was in today and they have diagnosed the DMF. Booked it in for 3 weeks time to change along with all clutch components. Worth doing at the same time at 133k miles I suppose....

Alot of money to hand over i know, but considering people have DMFs fail on some cars at 40,000 miles i think you're right in just accepting it as one of them things.

It also speaks volumes for the driver if they can get that sorta mileage out of a clutch, too (y)

You are right Liam, bit of a pain but can't really grumble.

The rear discs/pads are also to be changed, and these are original aswell :eek:

You are right Liam, bit of a pain but can't really grumble.

The rear discs/pads are also to be changed, and these are original aswell :eek:

You've got a good'un, obviously - 133k on rear brakes is excellent i'd say. I do think cars seem to last better if they're given plenty of long runs though. Friends/family with cars that just pootle about seem to have more trouble than those who are always driving somewhere long-distance (y)

Well its in tomorrow for this work. Ive told them if the front discs/pads arent likely to last another 10k miles (which is next service) then change these too. Again the discs are original, the pads though have only lasted 80k since they were done ;)

Well its in tomorrow for this work. Ive told them if the front discs/pads arent likely to last another 10k miles (which is next service) then change these too. Again the discs are original, the pads though have only lasted 80k since they were done ;)

Do you actually use the brakes on your car?

I struggle to get over 40k on front pads.. but there again my driving style could hardly be called sedate.

are you getting the modified clutch version,no dmf fitted,i did one on a golf that locked the engine and 100 bits and pieces all over the place ,lucky gearbox was ok and replaced with a non dmf clutch kit.

No just getting the standard with a DMF. Its lasted 134k so hardly a problem. I am guessing that we wont own it when it gets to 268k!

Im amazed by how long the brakes have lasted, especially the way SWMBO drives it! Though it has done a lot of motorway miles...

Well, the car is back and runs like new. New DMF, clutch and bearing. All new discs and pads all round. All fitted for the princely sum of £1125 (though that included £50 off for knackered drop link). So all in all wasnt too bad I thought.

Aye will do, thanks

One thing, its had a hollowy rattle/clunk for ages now, which has now gone completely, so wondering if it was play on the DMF, which garage said was excessive....

yes more likely too much travel in dmf and now solid no movement,only time it will move again or driving like a lunatic.(y)

Back