Technical clutch gone?

Currently reading:
Technical clutch gone?

Zardo

too many codes
Hi,

on my 1996 Bravo 1,4 S model (MK1), I believe to have a mechanical clutch (there's a cable attached to it and not a hydraulic line).

Some weeks ago I suddenly noticed a very faint mechanical noise when pushing the clutch down, as if a bearing was gone. This sound never was noticeble before.

Some days ago, the clutch suddenly made for some seconds a loud, almost explosive high-pitched noise, it sounded as if something was squeezed out of something or got trapped in the clutch and then expelled and the sound went away. Since then, I get lots of problems while changing gears (the clutch wont always completely disengage, or when I press it down there is some grinding noise or some screeching). I have the impression, some mechanical part got loose and sits in there, sometimes it gets trapped between the clutch or below it and get grinded upon. The clutch pedal went about an inch to the floor, and while driving did move up and down quite regularly but slowly like a pump (with or without a gear engaged), about twice a second (I wasn't going very fast). I later tightened the clutch cable which made the pedal come up again and the pumping was no longer noticeable , the problem changing gears went almost away, too. As this happened while I was on vacation, I had to drive home, about 1000 km on the motorway, mostly in 5th gear.

Today however the problem got worse again, changing gears was difficult again (clutch not totally disengaging), I also noticed the grinding noise again and some slight screeching noise, some bad smell came out of the clutch region, however I tightened the cable again a bit and thereby managed to get home. (The clutch always seemed to engage well but disengage badly)

What exactly is the problem? Is the bearing gone? I read that the bearing is of the "press-fit" type, how to get it out? It seems one would have to unmount the gearbox completly?

thanks,
Zardo

I have a 1.6 with cable :S
Mine did the exact same this winter and it turned out it was a little part near the end of the cable that had gone bad / rusted (at the clutch end). I'm not sure whether it is part of the cable it self, the buffers, mount or the lever, sorry :(

I had road side assistance first and the guy could not fix it. He said it was part of the cable / mount that was broken and it prevented him from adjusting the cable correctly. It was dark and rainy, so it was a bit hard for me to see the exact problem as we only removed the battery and not the tray. You have to remove the battery tray if you really want to see what the problem is.

The part is not that expensive but I got it changed by Fiat for 99 Euro total. I did not have the time to fix it myself and my dad wanted to pay for it, so yeah hello Fiat :cool: The bill says 'Mount for clutch cable repair - 93 Euro ' and 'Miscellaneous parts - 6 Euro'. Basically 93 Euro labor and a 6 Euro part, haha. Maybe it's a 'fassung' in German? It's a good idea to change the cable at the same time anyway - darn rust :yum:

G'luck :)

Last edited:
Back