General Clutch Bleeding Problems

Currently reading:
General Clutch Bleeding Problems

Raph406

i'm having some trouble trying to bleed the clutch. the rubber clutch hydraulic line split and started leaking fluid. i took it off and bought a new one. I also replaced the slave cylinder about a month ago. I topped off the reservoir and started pumping. then when i was cracking the bleed screw on the slave. it kept on pumping out clear brake fluid. After doing this for awhile with no air bubbles coming out and no pressure on the clutch pedal. i then took off the clutch line and filled it with fluid and reattached it. i then tried bleeding it again. Still alot of fluid comes out but no air bubbles and no pressure on the clutch. it still stays on the floor

Any help appreciated Thanks

I found the best way to bleed the clutch is to jack up the back of the car so that the slave cylinder is above the level of the master cylinder. Putting the back end on 12" axle stands seems about right. I couldn't bleed my clutch successfully until I did this and once I did the job took 10 mins.

Cheers

Raph,

You say you were pumping the peddle and then cracking the nipple on the slave clyinder. I don't wanna teach anyone to suck eggs, but bleeding a clutch is not done is the same way as bleeding brakes.

It's a 2 person job, one to operate the peddle, one to crack the bleed nipple.

slacken off the clutch adjustment rod all the way so that the slave can fill with fluid with no resistance

peddle down, open the nipple, close the nipple, peddle up.....repeat until you're happy

alternatively you could buy a gunson's Eezi bleed kit, some people like them some don't. I found mine invaluable when i had to bleed the clutch before every journey to/from work for a week before I had a chance to fix the leak

"I love the smell of break fuild in the morning, smells like victory"

sorry i didnt explain myself very clearly. I did have another person that would loosen the bleed nipple after i pumped the pedel and held it down. thanks for the help with the jacking the car up. It bled in a few minutes after that.

Back