Technical Clutch starter interlock

Currently reading:
Technical Clutch starter interlock

BCx19

Hi. I'm a new owner of an 1987 Bertone X1/9. I needed to have it 'safety inspected' prior to being able to register it, but it failed the inspection. Apparently, it requires an interlock to stop it from starting without depressing the clutch, and that doesn't happen with my car (that is to say the starter will move the car in gear and clutch not depressed).

Looking in the repair manual, and searching here, I find no mention of such an interlock. I have other manual transmission cars that do have an interlock and know how it should act. And a non-Fiat 1980 that doesn't have one.

So 2 questions...

1. Did the X1/9 ever have such a thing?
  2. If it did, any direction of where I can find the parts?

Thanks for looking!

Hi. I'm a new owner of an 1987 Bertone X1/9. I needed to have it 'safety inspected' prior to being able to register it, but it failed the inspection. Apparently, it requires an interlock to stop it from starting without depressing the clutch, and that doesn't happen with my car (that is to say the starter will move the car in gear and clutch not depressed).

Looking in the repair manual, and searching here, I find no mention of such an interlock. I have other manual transmission cars that do have an interlock and know how it should act. And a non-Fiat 1980 that doesn't have one.

So 2 questions...

1. Did the X1/9 ever have such a thing?
  2. If it did, any direction of where I can find the parts?

Thanks for looking!
If the x1/9 was ever officially sold in Canada or the USA then fiat may have had a clutch pedal interlock system. However finding those parts would possibly be impossible.

You easiest solution would be to fit a simple switch to the clutch pedal bracket operated by the pedal (similar to a brake light switch)

A decent independent garage or custom car shop should find the above very straight forward.

Back