General Close shave in 105.

Currently reading:
General Close shave in 105.

:eek: When I tried to accelerate up to lane speed this evening on a slip junction out of Forfar to join the A90 South (heavy rush hour traffic), I ran out of road. No harm done, nothing bent but although the 105 seems happy enough to cruise long distance at 70+, it does take its time getting there. This with three people in the car. If all seats had been full plus a bit of luggage it would have been downright dangerous.

The engine won't pull past about 50 in third. In normal driving this is fine but if I try for that little bit of extra acceleration, it feels like it's running out of fuel; just won't rev. Is this the rev limiter cutting in? I appreciate it's a diesel, but I had a 1.7 Citroen TZD a few years back and it seemed a much free-er spinning engine than the Multipla. Does anyone know if 50 (ish) is the normal third gear maximum of a 105, or could I maybe have a fuel supply problem? Since I bought the car I've changed engine oil & filter plus the air filter but not the fuel filter (I don't even know if it has a fuel filter). I'm still glad to have the car; I'll be seeing someone on Monday who runs a tweaked 115, so maybe a bit of aftermarket engine work is the way to go........................ Jim.

Sounds like there's something awry - my 105 goes really well. Get it checked out.

Sounds like there's something awry - my 105 goes really well. Get it checked out.[/quote]

Thanks Nicky, but it's all a bit academic now. Last night thanks to a truck pulling out in front of me while I was towing my daughters car, I skidded and hit a lampost. Damage hasn't been officially assesed by the insurers yet, but I've been told it is almost certainly a write off. Luckily I was insured fully comp, so when the dust has settled I'll be in the market for another Multipla:D

Sounds like good timing!.
I had a 105 and it seemed a bit sluggish, but this was deceptive as in reality it was quite quick as long as you changed gear early and used the large amount of torque to accelerate you out of trouble. But there are a few engine problems that could cause genuine sluggishness.
Put the money to good use and buy a 110 or 120 Multi, they are quite a bit quicker, I'm sure you will be pleased with their response.

Bit late I guess but it sounds like the MAF sensor was at fault. That's the usual reason for a lack of power higher up in the revs on a JTD. Test is to unplug and original power should return. Remember to replace though as you will be running minus a sensor so the ECU is in a 'safe' mode so timings/fueling may not be optimal.

Put the money to good use and buy a 110 or 120 Multi, they are quite a bit quicker, I'm sure you will be pleased with their response.

120? Is there such a beast? I thought the highest standard output available on the old style Multipla was 115. I've only driven two Multipla's; my 105 and a friends chipped 110. The 110 was by any standards a responsive and lively car. While we're on the subject, just out of curiosity by re-mapping only; no engineering mods to the engine, how high can the output of a 1.9 JTD engine be pushed without damaging it?

50bhp more from a JTD is a typical maximum remap.

Help me out would you please? Sounds like I'm on a steep learning curve.

As I understand it, the JTD 1.9 as used in the Multipla had 105 bhp as the lowest factory set power output and 115 the highest. Is the drive train strong enough to handle an extra 50 bhp long term? I'm not talking about racing starts, but assuming this wonderful extra power is only used once you're under way, is it going to hurt anything (clutch, drive shafts, transmission, license:()?

Can i buy your owners manual if a write off as mine came without one. thanks

I have the 1.9JTD 115 in my Stilo.

Its an engine that you can drive differently.

I can change up when the engine reaches 3000rpm and ride out on the torque (thats about 55mph in 3rd), or i can ride out the turbo and get a nice whistle at 4000rpm (about 70mph).

Perhaps if you change up early - dont forget its a diesel :D

Back