General Climate or Standard AC?

Currently reading:
General Climate or Standard AC?

Compressor don't work at a veritable rate though, it's either engaged or it isn't. It doesn't engage harder just because the fan speed is higher.

Not because the fan speed is higher, but it changes its rate (displacement, actually) and operates in closed loop as the expansion valve regulates the flow in the system.

Fair point, personally i find anything over 2 to be rather oppressive in terms of noise levels anyway

Thinking about it now it's obvious, as with an alternator the more heat (electricity with an alternator) you put more drag on the compressor.

Thinking about it now it's obvious, as with an alternator the more heat (electricity with an alternator) you put more drag on the compressor.

Having the blower motor on full (A/C off) draws about the same current as switching your low beams on. If you have manual A/C slowing the motor doesn't reduce draw very much as the excess voltage is converted to heat by a resistor. The ACC is more efficient in this regard.

UFI isn't affected much by turning the A/C on, my 2.3 Merc is really strangled by the A/C as is my 1.3 Suzuki. On the Merc I use the A/C to increase my engine braking :D

I wanted CC but because I got the 500s (Aus) it comes with the standard knobs but I find it reasonable in temperature adjustment and comfort using the windscreen and feet, fan and aircon set to 1, and adjust hot cold as required. I hate using face vents and I actually find the windscreen one better anyway.

If I had CC it would be set to 21-22 auto but I rarely use aircon anyway.

Having the blower motor on full (A/C off) draws about the same current as switching your low beams on. If you have manual A/C slowing the motor doesn't reduce draw very much as the excess voltage is converted to heat by a resistor. The ACC is more efficient in this regard.

UFI isn't affected much by turning the A/C on, my 2.3 Merc is really strangled by the A/C as is my 1.3 Suzuki. On the Merc I use the A/C to increase my engine braking :D

On the 1.4 power noticeably drops and engine braking gets really strong with ac on, too strong in fact I can barely coast in gear as the car slows down too much even in 5th!
I was amazed at how little the TA had engine braking, and that with worse brakes anyway compared to the 1.4!

On the 1.4 power noticeably drops and engine braking gets really strong with ac on, too strong in fact I can barely coast in gear as the car slows down too much even in 5th!
I was amazed at how little the TA had engine braking, and that with worse brakes anyway compared to the 1.4!

This I contest, as your 1.4 is the same setup on my 1.4 Stilo, which is a third heavier and AC being on makes no difference what so ever, on MPG, or engine power performance from experience.

The thing about air-con is, I know the physics of it, I know that science says it slows me down and costs me more money to get from point a to b, but I actually don't care, I remember driving cars in the winter with a rag to wipe my screen and trying to cool myself down I the summer by letting in the cow smells through the windows..... Sod the extra half a penny a mile!

.... And climate control looks much cooler, go for that!

Back